Arizona students must pass US citizenship test on civics

Started by garbon, January 16, 2015, 11:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I had all kinds of science in high school, and I totally destroyed the tests. :smarty:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2015, 12:53:16 AM
11th grade Chemistry completely derailed my ascent to medical school.  Only class I ever cheated in--once, used a crib note in the cover of the calculator--and managed to still fuck it up.

Chem (in 10th for us) almost ruined me, too. :console:  I was terrible at the next year's physics as well, but luckily we had a hilarious drunk for a teacher who was always completely lit up by our class period right after lunch.  I got on his good side while he yelled at us and used a hose attachment to spray water from a sink onto his own desk to demonstrate something, so I did fine.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

Kinda reassuring to know that chemistry sucked for everyone and not just me.

I had my chemistry teacher the year she was retiring, so there was nothing we could do or say to get around her being shitty.  In one memorable incident, she told one of my friends, who was a senior, "I don't care if you ace every test from now until the end of the semester; I don't like you, so you're not going to pass this class, and you're not going to graduate."  In front of the entire class.

She was also getting to be one of those cranky-senile old ladies, so she blamed us when she tossed an entire block of pure sodium into a bucket of water.  It was hilarious, though.  The amount of soot from the drop ceiling catching fire made it so her face looked like the result of one of the exploding cigar gags from Loony Tunes. :P
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 17, 2015, 08:58:18 AM

*clears throat* Perfect score on the national test.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

And Chem didn't suck for me. It was my favorite subject. When we had to go around the room saying why we were interested in ap physics, I noted that there were no chem classes left that I could take. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I was a real dick to the kid that sat in front of me in high-school physics. :Embarrass:

I took a great chemistry class in college, with hardly any of that scary math stuff. :wacko: :yuk: It was part of the unofficial "science for humanities majors" (or, per my dad, "Physics For Fags") course grouping that existed for fulfilling the math/science requirements, and this one took care of the lab requirement, too. 

I learned that paper bags from the grocery store actually take more oil to produce than plastic ones, even though the plastic ones are literally made out of it. :smarty:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 17, 2015, 10:22:20 AM
I took a great chemistry class in college, with hardly any of that scary math stuff. :wacko: :yuk: It was part of the unofficial "science for humanities majors" (or, per my dad, "Physics For Fags")

Your dad is coarse, but wise.  Words to contemplate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2015, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 17, 2015, 10:22:20 AM
I took a great chemistry class in college, with hardly any of that scary math stuff. :wacko: :yuk: It was part of the unofficial "science for humanities majors" (or, per my dad, "Physics For Fags")

Your dad is coarse, but wise.  Words to contemplate.

Try, for once, to be less of a jackass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 17, 2015, 08:58:18 AM

I had my chemistry teacher the year she was retiring, so there was nothing we could do or say to get around her being shitty.  In one memorable incident, she told one of my friends, who was a senior, "I don't care if you ace every test from now until the end of the semester; I don't like you, so you're not going to pass this class, and you're not going to graduate."  In front of the entire class.

She was also getting to be one of those cranky-senile old ladies, so she blamed us when she tossed an entire block of pure sodium into a bucket of water.  It was hilarious, though.  The amount of soot from the drop ceiling catching fire made it so her face looked like the result of one of the exploding cigar gags from Loony Tunes. :P

I am reassured.  I sucked at chemistry.  I did come up with an inventive way to ace the test of the periodic table.  I brought a pair of binoculars to class and read a small reproduction from across the room.  The teacher told me that no one else had ever thought of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I had decided early on in high school that there was no practical use for chemistry or mathematics in "the real world" so I just read books in class instead, because that was the kind of snot-nosed little shit I was.

Syt

I was very good in math, but I've forgotten most I learned about infinitesimal calculus and how to solve equations. Never been too good at chemistry or physics, though and never got beyond a B. I found it really interesting, but it required more effort to learn than geography or history where it was easier to talk your way out of corners. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

What the fuck? Dissecting cats in a biology class?   :huh:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 03:27:59 PM
What the fuck? Dissecting cats in a biology class?   :huh:

Good preparation to be Senate Majority Leader.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2015, 02:15:53 PM
I had decided early on in high school that there was no practical use for chemistry or mathematics in "the real world" so I just read books in class instead, because that was the kind of snot-nosed little shit I was.

Yeah, that kind of snot-nosed kid is what makes up half of languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Well, I participated in chemistry olympics at school and now do not remember tenth of it.