Arizona students must pass US citizenship test on civics

Started by garbon, January 16, 2015, 11:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2015, 01:03:48 PM
The citizenship test is completely bogus.  It tests things that no one will ever need or use, but which are easy to test, like what year the Constitution was written, how many house members there are, or which amendment prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.  It's a mere trivia contest.  Republicans legislators love it, though, because they can do well on pass/fail memorization tests, unlike essay tests that require demonstrating some understanding of a subject.

Most multiple choice tests are trivia tests.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2015, 01:06:18 PM
Most multiple choice tests are trivia tests.
Most badly-written tests using whatever mechanics are trivia tests.  It is entirely possible to make multiple-choice tests that are not trivia contests.  Government contractors are not good at doing this, however.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Looks like the Texas exit exam is going to get another section soon!

But no big deal.  I am sure anybody with half a brain can pass a High School exit exam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 16, 2015, 04:51:16 PM
But no big deal. 

Yeah no big deal, just a lot of wasted money that could have been put to better use. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I looked up graduation requirements for the Arizona public school system, and they want a minimum of 4 credits--

Quote(4) Social Studies shall consist of one credit of American History, one credit of World History/Geography, one-half credit of government and one-half credit of economics.

In the school system I attended, the entire 9th grade Social Studies curriculum was Civics class.   1/2 credit seems pretty light;  that's September to January.

Edit:  they only require 3 credits in Social Studies.

http://www.azed.gov/hsgraduation/

mongers

Yeah, citizenship was The curriculum buzzword for a while about 20-22 years ago when I had professional dealings within education.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Hopefully these shoddy public school standards will be supplemented by President Obama's higher education initiative.  :yeah:

Admiral Yi

mongers

I reckon I could quite easily pass that test, the downside being me acquiring 'Arizona citizenship'.  And another downside, America gains me as a 'citizen'.   :D

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2015, 05:14:43 PM
mongers is a retired school marm! :o

Good grief, not at the chalk face, you could call me an outside contractor, think Blackwater with mortice boards.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2015, 05:17:05 PM
Good grief, not at the chalk face, you could call me an outside contractor, think Blackwater with mortice boards.  :P

That's just super. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2015, 04:59:28 PM
I looked up graduation requirements for the Arizona public school system, and they want a minimum of 4 credits--

Quote(4) Social Studies shall consist of one credit of American History, one credit of World History/Geography, one-half credit of government and one-half credit of economics.

In the school system I attended, the entire 9th grade Social Studies curriculum was Civics class.   1/2 credit seems pretty light;  that's September to January.

Edit:  they only require 3 credits in Social Studies.

http://www.azed.gov/hsgraduation/

Civics was such an easy A for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Make every 12th grader pass a Jim Crow-era voting test, and then we'll have some truly knowledgeable youngsters on our hands. :cool:

...To be promptly dissuaded from continuing to study the social sciences or humanities at the post-secondary level, of course.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2015, 11:49:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 11:24:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2015, 11:21:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 11:19:48 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2015, 11:17:37 AM
Monstrous?

No, not monstrous. I am wondering what's the point of making this a school requirement though. Seems not particularly useful / I'm always skeptical of mandatory school testing - particularly when for something like this. :D

Of course, I'm also always skeptical of anything mentioning patriotism and Arizona. -_-

Well, as things go, this knowledge is probably more useful to an average high school graduate than understanding the gastric system of an amoeba.

I can't speak to that. I never took biology in high school.
Seriously! :blink:

Biology wasn't a requirement when I was in HS, either.  You had to take 4 years of science classes IIRC, but we had enough available science courses that you didn't have to take biology.

The Brain

Would you say that you don't know much about biology?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.