News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Raz is either a very dedicated fact checker or secretly Icelandic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 23, 2016, 09:06:29 PM
Raz is either a very dedicated fact checker or secretly Icelandic.

It's kind of a famous event.  Also, I read that book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 23, 2016, 09:24:32 PM
"Famous Events in Iceland"?

Famous in the world.  It caused chaos all over the place.  Ben Franklin is famous for correctly identifying the cause.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I'm tempted by a book on German S-Boote just because it's written by Hans Frank. Should I pull the trigger?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on April 23, 2016, 07:51:30 PM
Downloaded

Queen's American Rangers by Gara

Very well done. Small unit actions by the QAR and how it fit in the larger scheme from Rogers to the evil (:rolleyes:) John Graves Simcoe.

On to "War on the Run" by John Ross.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

I read a collection of Paul Verlaine's poetry, which is notoriously difficult to translate into English.  That's too bad since his poetry covers such a broad range of the human experience; including the teenage lesbian incest experience.  Poetry is a lovely art form.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

sbr

Any version with pictures?

Asking for a friend

Savonarola

Quote from: sbr on May 11, 2016, 03:57:28 PM
Any version with pictures?

Asking for a friend

Surprisingly, or maybe not, yes it looks like there are many illustrated versions of that poem.  You can take your pick here:  NSFW
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on May 10, 2016, 07:53:29 AM
I read a collection of Paul Verlaine's poetry, which is notoriously difficult to translate into English.  That's too bad since his poetry covers such a broad range of the human experience; including the teenage lesbian incest experience.  Poetry is a lovely art form.   :)

Wasn't he a man's man?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2016, 04:23:00 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 10, 2016, 07:53:29 AM

Wasn't he a man's man?

Yes he was.  In fact, in the English speaking world, he's probably better remembered for his tempestuous affair with Arthur Rimbaud than he is for his poetry.

Sheilbh

Finnegans Wake. Lots of fun.

Worth the time.
Let's bomb Russia!