News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2016, 06:21:54 AM
Have you considered playing Crusader Kings II instead?

That is a huge HRE for that early in the game. I assume you started as Charlemagne?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on March 22, 2016, 10:12:10 PM
Finally out.

His book Days of Battle was well done. It is the only book in English that gave a good descriptive account of the last successful German offensive operation (Operation Southwind) of the war.

About 90 pages in. Very good narrative on both sides on battalion level engagements of Konrad I. It's a combat mission scenario designers dream. Fixing to start the chapter on the armored battle at Zamoly. Some translation anomolies, but other that clearly written. Still amazing the Germans could smack the Russians around in Jan '45 and still give the Russians fits. Most of the panzer units were way below even operational combat tank strength. The Luftwaffe was providing an amazing amount of ground support.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM
In the old thread the question was raised about books about the Seven Years War that are *not* about the British Navy or the French and Indian Wars.

The Seven Years War in Europe: 1756-1763 by Franz A.J. Szabo was mentioned in the context, but I guess I'll leave it be after this reader review on Wargamer:
QuoteJust finished the above book. Let me save you the trouble and summarize: Frederick the great was an incompetent tyrant and , apparently, a coward who routinely fled from battles that his over rated Prussian Army constantly lost.  When prussia won a victory, it was only because of some type of fluke like a weather event, or a junior Austrian officer misunderstanding an order.  Austria routinely dominated the incompetent Frederick whose Prussian Army only survived through sheer luck.  Fredericks reputataion only developed due to Prussian propogandists.

I guess I should have read the author's bio first. Professor of Austrian Studies, native Austrian, and dedicated his book to his two grandfathers who, as he proudly announces, both fought for Austria-hungary during WWI.
Though they contain information on the French and Indian War, I found Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766 by Fred Anderson and  The French and Indian War and the Conquest of New France by William R. Nester to both have some solid insights into the European and global aspects of the war as well.  If people are interested in the era, I'd highly recommend them both.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Been reading the Franco-Prussian war by Michael Howard.  A lot about how crooked and incompetent Napoleon III's regime was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Exciting times for the Russian theater.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
Been reading the Franco-Prussian war by Michael Howard.  A lot about how crooked and incompetent Napoleon III's regime was.

If your interested in more of the tactical side;

DAY OF BATTLE: Mars-La-Tour

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2016, 10:00:26 PM

If your interested in more of the tactical side;

DAY OF BATTLE: Mars-La-Tour

I'm not finished with it yet, I don't even know who wins!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Well he had been sick for awhile and had passed more and more power over the liberals. I have a generally positive view of his regime as a stabilizer that made the Third Republic possible by institutionalizing parliamentary politics. That was, after all, his goal as he wrote in his political manifesto back when he was in exile (well not the Republic part, he wanted a British style monarchy).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The embezzlement thing seems like a black mark.  I do think the author is t0o kind to the Prussians, but this was the 1960's and everyone was still convinced that the Germans were gods of war.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2016, 04:04:07 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 09, 2015, 06:31:56 AM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dawn-Modern-Warfare-History/dp/0803265867

Ordered this, I'll report on it when I get it in the mail. :)

Got this yesterday. Can't wait to start it. I didn't realize that it was a foundational work in the field from the 20's when I ordered it. Should be interesting trying to pick out the biases.

Anyone got any suggestions of something more current on the topic?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I just received the Great Northern War Compendium, two volumes of richly illustrated articles by a number of authors from several different countries on most aspects of the war. From a brief look it appears pretty awesome, I don't think you'll find anything like it in English again in a looong time.

Link: http://www.thehistoricalgamecompany.com/product/great-northern-war-compendium-2/

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I bet the Turks wish they had the Battle of the Prut to do over again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Picked up Jared Diamond's "Collapse."  Currently reading about the various Norse North Atlantic colonies.

Was very surprised to learn that in 1748 1/5 of the population of Iceland died of starvation.

The book overall is metzo metzo.  Would have benefited from a condensation of the discussion of soil erosion.

11B4V

Downloaded

Queen's Rangers by Simcoe

Quebec's American Rangers by Gara

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2016, 12:47:38 PM
Picked up Jared Diamond's "Collapse."  Currently reading about the various Norse North Atlantic colonies.

Was very surprised to learn that in 1748 1/5 of the population of Iceland died of starvation.

The book overall is metzo metzo.  Would have benefited from a condensation of the discussion of soil erosion.