News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Gups on March 07, 2016, 06:42:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2016, 08:52:31 AM
Finished Moby Dick. First time I've read it in English. I love this book.

About to start it for the first time.

It takes a while to get going.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2016, 04:40:19 PM
North Americans haven't heard of the term "nation state"?

Of course. But we usually just call it "Texas".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on December 28, 2015, 01:34:25 PM
Currently reading The Invention of Nature: Alexander Von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf, all about the life, travels and discoveries of the German scientist. Very entertaining so far.

Odd footnote: Humboldt hung out with Goethe and, allegedly, influenced the latter's characterization of Faust.  :D

I bought this as Christmas present for my uncle.  I hope he found it entertaining.  Or at least read it.  Or at least might read it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2016, 02:39:37 AM
Have you read The Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama?

I read the first book.  Haven't gotten to the sequel yet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

On the topic of political theory, any C. Schmitt readers among us?  I know Zanza denounced me for referencing him once, since (like Heidegger) he never apologized for his 1933-35 activity and hence wasn't de-Nazified.  I've read The Concept of the Political, Political Theology, and Theory of the Partisan, but I'm trying to decide the next one to pick up.

Interestingly, Walter Benjamin and Carl Schmitt not only overlapped in epoch and thought (albeit from left vs right) but contributed to the same journal at the same time (c. 1922, IIRC) so it's impossible they weren't acquainted with each other's ideas.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Savonarola

The Black Count

Sesame Street has taken political correctness too far!   :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just kidding, the book I actually read was: The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss.  I covers the life of General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of the novelist (and grandfather of the playwright.)  Elements of the general's life serve as the models for both Georges and the Count of Monte Cristo.  (Reiss hints that he may have been the inspiration for D'Artagnan, but I've also read that he was the basis for Porthos as well.)

It's an interesting and thoroughly readable account of the General's life; France in he revolutionary period and Haiti (Saint-Domingue) during the ancien regime.  It might be a little overly light for the more serious scholars on Languish, but one thing that only this forum will appreciate, Thomas-Alexandre Dumas was known by the nickname: The Horatius Cocles of Tyrol.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2016, 12:11:15 PM
The Black Count

Just kidding, the book I actually read was: The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss.  I covers the life of General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, father of the novelist (and grandfather of the playwright.)  Elements of the general's life serve as the models for both Georges and the Count of Monte Cristo.  (Reiss hints that he may have been the inspiration for D'Artagnan, but I've also read that he was the basis for Porthos as well.)

It's an interesting and thoroughly readable account of the General's life; France in he revolutionary period and Haiti (Saint-Domingue) during the ancien regime.  It might be a little overly light for the more serious scholars on Languish, but one thing that only this forum will appreciate, Thomas-Alexandre Dumas was known by the nickname: The Horatius Cocles of Tyrol.

Speaking of Saint-Domingue and Black Counts, I just read Black Jacobins, C.L.R. James' 1938 work -- the 2nd edition from the early 1960's, which came with a new preface but only added footnotes that (rather unsubtly :lol:) point out his prescience concerning WWII and the postwar African independence movements.

It is somehow timeless, despite the démodé Marxism-Leninism that powers the whole enterprise, in its spirited assault on the popular opinion of Toussaint L'Ouverture and Haitian sovereignty at the time. 

But the work argues most passionately (and most interestingly, IMO) to establish the connection of both Toussaint's life history and Haiti's independence to the course of the French Revolutionary (esp. the Directory) and Napoleonic period.  Bourgeois imperialist readers won't enjoy it quite as much, I expect, but there is much of Orwell's plain-spoken urgency in this work. 

It's to my discredit that it took me so long to read this work, a classic in historiography if nothing else, and then only because I grabbed it from the window of a local used bookstore promoting their Black History Month stock. :Embarrass:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 09, 2016, 11:42:46 AM
On the topic of political theory, any C. Schmitt readers among us?  I know Zanza denounced me for referencing him once, since (like Heidegger) he never apologized for his 1933-35 activity and hence wasn't de-Nazified.  I've read The Concept of the Political, Political Theology, and Theory of the Partisan, but I'm trying to decide the next one to pick up.

Interestingly, Walter Benjamin and Carl Schmitt not only overlapped in epoch and thought (albeit from left vs right) but contributed to the same journal at the same time (c. 1922, IIRC) so it's impossible they weren't acquainted with each other's ideas.

Got around to reading him earlier this year, rather than read what others wrote about him. Much like your contrition about CLR James, I am ashamed it took me so long.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 15, 2016, 02:12:38 AM
Got around to reading him earlier this year, rather than read what others wrote about him. Much like your contrition about CLR James, I am ashamed it took me so long.

Ah excellent, he's one of those ones (like Benjamin and especially like Lacan, though probably not as much in your field...) that gets little bits cited hither and thither without a real engagement with their work.

(Lacan's writing is a lost cause -- as is his thought and as was his psychoanalytic practice, IMO -- I think Heidegger may be a lost cause in terms of quotability, but not hid thought).  But Schmitt and Benjamin are to blame in part because they write so well, so aphoristically, so biblically.  "Sovereign is he who decides on the exception."  "It is only for the sake of the hopeless that hope is given to us."

At the risk of being overly earnest, I think Agamben is probably the greatest philosopher of our time and I think he has done a great job with Schmitt, but Chantal Mouffe has done a lot, as has David Dyzenhaus up in Toronto, and even [cringe] Žižek at times, so the secondary literature on Schmitt in the last 20 years hasn't been shit, just to absolve your conscience. :P

Gups

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 01:34:53 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2016, 12:11:15 PM
The Black Count

Speaking of Saint-Domingue and Black Counts, I just read Black Jacobins, C.L.R. James' 1938 work -- the 2nd edition from the early 1960's, which came with a new preface but only added footnotes that (rather unsubtly :lol:) point out his prescience concerning WWII and the postwar African independence movements.

It is somehow timeless, despite the démodé Marxism-Leninism that powers the whole enterprise, in its spirited assault on the popular opinion of Toussaint L'Ouverture and Haitian sovereignty at the time. 

But the work argues most passionately (and most interestingly, IMO) to establish the connection of both Toussaint's life history and Haiti's independence to the course of the French Revolutionary (esp. the Directory) and Napoleonic period.  Bourgeois imperialist readers won't enjoy it quite as much, I expect, but there is much of Orwell's plain-spoken urgency in this work. 

It's to my discredit that it took me so long to read this work, a classic in historiography if nothing else, and then only because I grabbed it from the window of a local used bookstore promoting their Black History Month stock. :Embarrass:

You may not be aware that CLR James remains very widely read for his classic book on cricket  "Beyond a Boundary", regularly cited as the best book on the sport (and it's a crowded and competitive field). It's well worth a read, even if you have no interest in cricket.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Gups on March 15, 2016, 04:36:53 AM
You may not be aware that CLR James remains very widely read for his classic book on cricket  "Beyond a Boundary", regularly cited as the best book on the sport (and it's a crowded and competitive field). It's well worth a read, even if you have no interest in cricket.

Thanks for recommendation, Gups, I knew James was a cricket aficionado, but didn't know about that book in particular, let alone how highly regard it is.  I will definitely take a look.  I've loved Eduardo Galeano's writing on soccer/football/futbol even though I have no interest in that sport either. *ducks*

11B4V

Finally out.

His book Days of Battle was well done. It is the only book in English that gave a good descriptive account of the last successful German offensive operation (Operation Southwind) of the war.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Finished Fuchida's autobiography. Which is ironic, since he didn't. Anyway, interesting life and nice descriptions of dramatic moments and what he felt about them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.