News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Don't forget The Good Argument.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

QuoteSo far, I had encountered the Social Democratic Party only as a spectator at a few mass demonstrations without gaining any insight into the mind-set of its supporters or the nature of its doctrine. Now, at one moment, I met face-to-face with the results of its training and who supported its "World-Concept ". In the course of a few months, I learned something that otherwise may have taken years—an understanding of a disease masquerading as social virtue and the love of one's neighbor—a disease which humanity must free the earth from or the earth would soon be freed of humanity.

My first encounter with Social Democrats was on a construction job. It was not a good situation from the very beginning. My clothes were still in good shape, my language was cultivated, and my manner reserved. I had so much to do in dealing with my own Fate that I couldn't trouble myself with the world around me. I was looking for work only to avoid starving and so that I could educate myself no matter how long it took. I might not have paid any attention to my new surroundings if an event on the third or fourth day had not compelled me to immediately adopt a new attitude. I was asked to join the organized union.
:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 07:49:09 PM
QuoteSo far, I had encountered the Social Democratic Party only as a spectator at a few mass demonstrations without gaining any insight into the mind-set of its supporters or the nature of its doctrine. Now, at one moment, I met face-to-face with the results of its training and who supported its "World-Concept ". In the course of a few months, I learned something that otherwise may have taken years—an understanding of a disease masquerading as social virtue and the love of one's neighbor—a disease which humanity must free the earth from or the earth would soon be freed of humanity.

My first encounter with Social Democrats was on a construction job. It was not a good situation from the very beginning. My clothes were still in good shape, my language was cultivated, and my manner reserved. I had so much to do in dealing with my own Fate that I couldn't trouble myself with the world around me. I was looking for work only to avoid starving and so that I could educate myself no matter how long it took. I might not have paid any attention to my new surroundings if an event on the third or fourth day had not compelled me to immediately adopt a new attitude. I was asked to join the organized union.

I'm confused - is this from Mein Kampf or the Bible?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 11:47:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 07:49:09 PM

I'm confused - is this from Mein Kampf or the Bible?
:D

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2015, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2015, 08:19:53 AM
He's the guy with the "ploughing the sea" quote, right? Seems he was of the same opinion.  ;)

I have not yet encountered that quote.

I think he says it near the end of his life. Basically, a statement of dispair.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sim%C3%B3n_Bol%C3%ADvar

QuoteAll who have served the Revolution have plowed the sea.

Statement written in his final days, as quoted in Simón Bolívar : A Story of Courage (1941) by Elizabeth Dey Jenkinson Waugh, p. 320; These are sometimes said to have been repeated many times while he was dying, and to be his last words.
Variant translations or reports:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

I tried to read Mein Kampf once, basically to get some insight into Hitler. For a charismatic mass murdering dictator famous for his ability to motivate ordinary people into committing henous acts, I found him - terribly boring.  :(

Maybe he's more inspiring in the original German. The only thing this book did was nearly *bore* me to death.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2015, 10:30:59 AM
I tried to read Mein Kampf once, basically to get some insight into Hitler. For a charismatic mass murdering dictator famous for his ability to motivate ordinary people into committing henous acts, I found him - terribly boring.  :(

Maybe he's more inspiring in the original German. The only thing this book did was nearly *bore* me to death.

No this book was notoriously hard to read for the members of the SS for whom it was mandatory. No wonder they became genocidal monsters afterwards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2015, 10:30:59 AM

It is a blathering twisted view, particularly when it comes to Jewish people at that time.

Hamilcar

Just finished Kingkiller Chronicle 1 and 2.... anyone else read this series?

11B4V

Grey Fox

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 07:56:55 AM
Just finished Kingkiller Chronicle 1 and 2.... anyone else read this series?

Sounds interesting. I will add it to the list.

I just finished all of Abercrombie's First Law world books.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.