News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Taking a break from the eastern front and starting with Mein Kampf and the Quran
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 12:38:30 AM
Taking a break from the eastern front and starting with Mein Kampf and the Quran

Seems like your kind of books.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

I was thinking about Paine and/or Dumas, but maybe later.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2015, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2015, 12:55:11 PM
Just picked up Bolivar: American Liberator by Marie Arana.  A significant gap in my historical knowledge.  So far the book is quite good.

About a third of the way in.  I've read nothing so far to disabuse me of the notion that fucking things up is hard coded in Latin American.

He's the guy with the "ploughing the sea" quote, right? Seems he was of the same opinion.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

That will lead to some great Amazon recommendations. Or you being put on FBI watch list.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2015, 04:04:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2015, 06:41:44 AM
Currently reading Jung's "Man and His Symbols". Extremely engaging. Next on my list, re-reading of the "newly abdridged" Frazier's "Golden Bough". Then most likely back to Jung.

I thought you already read Frazier.

Hence use of the word "re-reading" (as opposed to "reading") in that sentence.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 09:21:19 AM

That will lead to some great Amazon recommendations. Or you being put on FBI watch list.
:D

garbon

What's the appeal of reading Mein Kampf?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

What am I suppose to get from that? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 02:43:22 PM

Why not. No different than reading any book on a lunatic mass murderer.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 03:03:16 PM

I don't think I've ever read any book by a mass murderer.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:06:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 03:03:16 PM

I don't think I've ever read any book by a mass murderer.

Me neither - I still have to read that Quran I ordered.

Edit: Kissinger is an entertaining author, I heard, though.

garbon

Martinus

I would say any *author* is worth reading at least once.

(Was going to say *book* but that's too generous)