News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

On my flight here I read And the Mountains Echoed by Kite Runner dude.  Kind of disappointing.  He piles on what are IMO a number of pointless plot threads a la J R R R R Martin.

However, still picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns, his second book.  I believe Jo Jo was pitching it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2015, 06:41:44 AM
Currently reading Jung's "Man and His Symbols". Extremely engaging. Next on my list, re-reading of the "newly abdridged" Frazier's "Golden Bough". Then most likely back to Jung.

I thought you already read Frazier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Projective stuttering. The silent killer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I've already read more than one book this year. :smarty:

Oh and one of these :P for those here with broken detectors.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Just picked up Bolivar: American Liberator by Marie Arana.  A significant gap in my historical knowledge.  So far the book is quite good.

Gups

Dual tracking fic and non-fic at the moment. Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts is a decent overview. Not hagiographic but comes close on some occasions. However, well-written with a good balance of personal, political and military.

Mark & the Void by Paul Murray - novel set in Dublin after the crash. Main character is a French banker. Weak-ass clichéd satire on bankers with cardboard cut out characters and thinly disguised information dumps (would any analyst, even a trainee, really ask what a T-Bill is?). A real shame - his last book Skippy Dies is sensational.

The Brain

Finished the Iliad. Like reading the script to an extended version of 300.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2015, 02:01:11 PM

A lot of 'The hard bronze clove him between the groin and the navel, and his shade fell whimpering into Hades', as I recall.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2015, 02:04:37 PM

A lot of 'The hard bronze clove him between the groin and the navel, and his shade fell whimpering into Hades', as I recall.

That's nothing.  The song of Roland has like a dozen occasions where someone swings a sword down on top of a knight's head and cuts him and half and also spits his horse in two.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2015, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2015, 02:04:37 PM

That's nothing.  The song of Roland has like a dozen occasions where someone swings a sword down on top of a knight's head and cuts him and half and also spits his horse in two.

That's an impressive feat.

Valmy

They just do not write them like that anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2015, 12:55:11 PM
Just picked up Bolivar: American Liberator by Marie Arana.  A significant gap in my historical knowledge.  So far the book is quite good.

About a third of the way in.  I've read nothing so far to disabuse me of the notion that fucking things up is hard coded in Latin American.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 02:28:29 PM
They just do not write them like that anymore.

Don't find too many people that can spit like that anymore, either.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2015, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2015, 12:55:11 PM

About a third of the way in.  I've read nothing so far to disabuse me of the notion that fucking things up is hard coded in Latin American.
How so?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."