News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Mao: The Untold Story.

So is Mao just crazy and evil?  Like, legitimately psychopathic?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2015, 10:44:36 AM
I read 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline over the weekend.  It provides a great summary of the late Bronze Age world and the various theories for why it collapsed.  If you are at all interested in this time period I highly recommend it. 

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10185.html
Read it. Enjoyed it.

However it was too short and the thesis was lame. "It was a combination of all of the above" while always the most likely cause of such complex and widespread events neither puts butts in the seat, nor gets you grant money.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 12, 2015, 11:30:12 PM

However it was too short and the thesis was lame. "It was a combination of all of the above" while always the most likely cause of such complex and widespread events neither puts butts in the seat, nor gets you grant money.

Which makes writing it commendable, not lame. Hiding it in the small print while selling it as a new angle that explains everything always puts me off.

11B4V

Finished up Order in Chaos by Hermann Balck. Slanted a little, but the operational details of the battles were good. The WW1 part of the book I thought was great. Jägers FTW

Still working on Snow and Steel; Great coverage on the commanders, focusing on the division and below. Great background on unit training and prep for the battle. So far "A"

Still waiting on 
The Sword Behind The Shield: A Combat History of the German Efforts to Relieve Budapest 1945 - Operation 'Konrad' I, III, III
by Norbert Számvéber

Supposedly the 19th is the release date.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

So, any other recommendations for books on bronze age civilizations?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

There's the speculative one about chariot warfare, was discussed a couple years back,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2015, 01:48:43 AM

You are going to have to narrow it down a bit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2015, 04:28:35 PM

Yeah. New England? The South? Midwest?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2015, 04:28:35 PM

I have a broad interest in the development of  that level of civilization.

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Finally landed a copy at a decent price.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Anyone know of any good books on preclonial Vietnamese history, or the history of Women in Vietnam (all eras). I find these topics to be quite interesting while I was there.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Currently reading the third book in the Star Wars - Old Republic tie in novels.

"Fatal Alliance" was surprisingly decent, more like an RP action adventure showcasing all 8 classes from the game, good action, a decent mix of characters.

"Deceived" was about Darth Malgus and the immediate aftermath of the sacking of Coruscant. Still ok, though not exactly high literature.

Now on "Revan," which bridges the story between KotOR 1 and 2 (the connection between Revan and the Exile), and giving background to one of the MMO companions. Should be great, but unfortunately it's written by Drew Karpyshyn. He wrote for the video games Mass Effect 1&2, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate II and KotOR. I tried reading his Mass Effect novels when I was playing ME2, but dear lord, his novel writing is atrocious. More often than not I find his characters come across as stupid for not being able to figure out basic stuff, and in Revan I find that sometimes he writes against the established character [spoiler]like when Bastila suggests her husband Revan leave a potential threat to the galaxy for future generations - he has to remind her that with her being pregnant that would mean their kid would have to deal with it[/spoiler].
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Currently reading Jung's "Man and His Symbols". Extremely engaging. Next on my list, re-reading of the "newly abdridged" Frazier's "Golden Bough". Then most likely back to Jung.