News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I was thinking that I should have just PMed you the question but 3 mins, is fast enough.

Thanks DB²
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2015, 09:24:12 PM
My gf has read 71 books in 2015. I expect her to reach 120.

Update : 82

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2015, 10:39:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2015, 09:24:12 PM
My gf has read 71 books in 2015. I expect her to reach 120.

Update : 82

The number doesn't really matter, if they are all essentially the same book about sexy vampires.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Atleast she's not playing CC saga.

Malthus

Also, why the hell are sexy vampires a thing? Why not sexy mummies or zombies for a change?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

That site doesn't like direct linking of their stuff, it turns out.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 31, 2015, 11:16:09 AM
Also, why the hell are sexy vampires a thing? Why not sexy mummies or zombies for a change?  :hmm:

Some women are attracted to a darker, semi-sinister aspect of sexuality.  This is often represented by a male who is in some way outside the boundaries of acceptable society; Rochester or Heathcliff (it's no my-y-yth) for example.  Vampires are a (super) natural outgrowth of this.  Bela Lugosi received tons of fan mail from women, and famously had an affair with the it girl, Clara Bow.

Werewolves (judging by "Twilight's" success) can be sexy; mummies and zombies not so much.  I would guess that this is because vampires and werewolves straddle the line between human and bestial, while mummies or zombies being mindless have lost their humanity.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on July 31, 2015, 01:26:47 PM

Some women are attracted to a darker, semi-sinister aspect of sexuality.  This is often represented by a male who is in some way outside the boundaries of acceptable society; Rochester or Heathcliff (it's no my-y-yth) for example.  Vampires are a (super) natural outgrowth of this.  Bela Lugosi received tons of fan mail from women, and famously had an affair with the it girl, Clara Bow.

Werewolves (judging by "Twilight's" success) can be sexy; mummies and zombies not so much.  I would guess that this is because vampires and werewolves straddle the line between human and bestial, while mummies or zombies being mindless have lost their humanity.

Yeah cause chicks hate mindless retards. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Apparently, the "sexy vampire" theme (as opposed to the gross, bloated corpse of folklore) was invented in the same story competition among Lord Byron's friends and hangers-on during which "Frankenstein" was created. It was written by Byron's personal physician, whom he later turfed out of this employ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vampyre

QuoteThe story has its genesis in the summer of 1816, the Year Without a Summer, when Europe and parts of North America underwent a severe climate abnormality. Lord Byron and his young physician John Polidori were staying at the Villa Diodati by Lake Geneva and were visited by Percy Bysshe Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, and Claire Clairmont. Kept indoors by the "incessant rain" of that "wet, ungenial summer",[2] over three days in June the five turned to telling fantastical tales, and then writing their own. Fueled by ghost stories such as the Fantasmagoriana, William Beckford's Vathek and quantities of laudanum, Mary Shelley, in collaboration with Percy Bysshe Shelley,[3] produced what would become Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. Polidori was inspired by a fragmentary story of Byron's, Fragment of a Novel (1816), also known as "A Fragment" and "The Burial: A Fragment", and in "two or three idle mornings" produced "The Vampyre".[4]

Thank goodness for the laudanum!  :D

The Minsky Moment

No problem that can't be fixed by liberal doses of opiates.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on July 31, 2015, 01:26:47 PM

Vampires and werewolves are inherently sexual creatures - sophisticated dark seducers vs. passionate animals. Zombies and mummies not so much. Zombies are generally a reflection of the mindless mob and mummies, err ... I dunno?

I suppose you could create a zombie spoof where instead of braaaaains they crave sex? And just like they generally won't eat each other they also won't fornicate with one another?`And having sex with zombies would make you a zombie, so it would be the ultimate STD.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

QuoteI suppose you could create a zombie spoof where instead of braaaaains they crave sex?
It's called Shivers.

It's actually completely horrifying. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

Sister Wives arc of Otoyomegatari. Really good stuff.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Finished Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques, by Short. I was a bit unsure about this book, but then I read it. It appears to make very reasonable educated guesses about its subject, and the author is very clear about the fact that we know very little for certain. I may even be inspired to paint a few more miniature Vikings. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.