News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Richard III and Warwick The Kingmaker, both by Paul Murray Kendall are good in my opinion.  The Sunne in Splendor by Sharon K. Penman and The Daughter of Time by Jospehine Tey are alright for historical fiction.  I'm a big Richard III and Yorkist fan, so my tastes are biased.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2015, 08:09:33 AM
Shelby Foote was a great and gifted story teller.

'If America was really as great as it claims to be this war would never have taken place. But since it did we have to pretend our generals were the greatest and our soldiers were the bravest.' Something to that effect  :lol:
He really was, a bit of a southern sympathizer though. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 07, 2015, 06:16:28 PM
Richard III and Warwick The Kingmaker, both by Paul Murray Kendall are good in my opinion.  The Sunne in Splendor by Sharon K. Penman and The Daughter of Time by Jospehine Tey are alright for historical fiction.  I'm a big Richard III and Yorkist fan, so my tastes are biased.

Good man. Lancaster sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Yorkists are cool. Switches are fine too; I visited Warwick Castle last summer. A Warwick! A Warwick! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 08, 2015, 02:35:28 AM
Yorkists are cool. Switches are fine too; I visited Warwick Castle last summer. A Warwick! A Warwick! :)

Davis?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2015, 04:04:11 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 08, 2015, 02:35:28 AM

Davis?

Kincaid. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

I binned Sunne in Splendor about 500 pages in and was surprised I lasted that long. Too Mills and Boony for me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2015, 06:38:19 PM

'If America was really as great as it claims to be this war would never have taken place. But since it did we have to pretend our generals were the greatest and our soldiers were the bravest.' Something to that effect  :lol:

Not really. He is fond of them but he does not endorse their cause. His brain is with the Union and his heart is with the Confederacy :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Gups on July 08, 2015, 07:19:37 AM

I binned Sunne in Splendor about 500 pages in and was surprised I lasted that long. Too Mills and Boony for me.
I haven't made it that far yet. :Embarrass:  I'm just prior to George having his "accident".  I'm presuming it gets more romantic/ized during the ensuing years.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2015, 08:00:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2015, 06:38:19 PM

Not really. He is fond of them but he does not endorse their cause. His brain is with the Union and his heart is with the Confederacy :P

He's evil, but don't worry, he's too pragmatic to follow through on it.  :P
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Lovely prose, except that he uses "bristle" too much.

Lettow77

Shelby Foote is ideologically sound. He is a wonderful gentleman and his literary touch is beautiful.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2015, 09:40:11 PM
Lovely prose, except that he uses "bristle" too much.

When describing contemporary facial hairstyles, that word cannot be used too much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2015, 09:33:25 PM
He's evil, but don't worry, he's too pragmatic to follow through on it.  :P

He is dead so I think we are safe :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."