Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2015, 12:00:46 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2015, 10:19:28 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 29, 2015, 03:51:43 PM
Interesting fact about the 1871 indemnity.  It was paid off via public bond issuance.  About 1/3 of the subscribers were from Germany.

The victors at Versailles drew all the wrong conclusions from the prior experience in 1871.
What were the right conclusions?

If you are going to impose impossible economic conditions on a country, make sure it's a small one with a tiny army that nobody likes.
Europe's been trying that for the last five years and it hasn't worked out well so far.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

Seveneves, Neal Stephenson's latest.  Probably the hardest SF novel he's written (not counting pseudo-historical novels like the Baroque Trilogy or Cryptonomicon).  The first part of the novel is quite entertaining in the "world is doomed in two years, what does humanity do" genre.  Second part shifts to a whole new set of characters many years later, and the disconnect makes me think it should have been condensed or expanded (turned into a ~30-50 page what happens afterward or a whole separate novel).

Big improvement over Reamde, but doesn't quite reach the heights of his best work (Zodiac, Snow Crash, Diamond Age).

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2015, 12:04:21 AM
Europe's been trying that for the last five years and it hasn't worked out well so far.

Yes. That was the joke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2015, 10:19:28 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 29, 2015, 03:51:43 PM
Interesting fact about the 1871 indemnity.  It was paid off via public bond issuance.  About 1/3 of the subscribers were from Germany.

The victors at Versailles drew all the wrong conclusions from the prior experience in 1871.
What were the right conclusions?

Financial indemnities are a bad idea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Did it really matter much? The Germans were already headed to hyper-inflation anyway because of financing the war. Then the Great Depression kicked in. They still could have blamed those things on losing the war and that dirty stab in the back crew even without any treaties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 12:56:16 PM
Did it really matter much? The Germans were already headed to hyper-inflation anyway because of financing the war.

I don't think so -- debt levels were quite high but could have been managed by some combination of moderate inflation plus domestic rescheduling and/or financial repression.  The indemnity obligation is what helped give rise to the misguided plan of using massive bill printing as a mechanism of politico-economic resistance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Hyperinflation wasn't what brought the Nazis to power anyway.  The problem wasn't onerous economic conditions, but that the Germans never recognized the fact they lost the war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2015, 02:59:56 PM
Hyperinflation wasn't what brought the Nazis to power anyway.  The problem wasn't onerous economic conditions, but that the Germans never recognized the fact they lost the war.

I don't think there much support for the proposition that Germany's hyper inflation played no role in the political chaos which followed. 

Razgovory

Yeah, but they didn't come to power in the 1921.  Hyperinflation had been resolved by the time they came to power. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

My impression is that the Depression played a much bigger role than the earlier inflation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2015, 04:12:14 PM
I don't think there much support for the proposition that Germany's hyper inflation played no role in the political chaos which followed.

Said that way - no role - hard to contest.  But it was definitely secondary to the unemployment crisis a decade later.  German historical memory is selective in that regard - you would think that Germans would be sensitive to the dangers of extreme austerity in the presence of active right and left wing populist movements.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The hyperinflation wiped out the accumulated savings of the middle class.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2015, 04:37:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2015, 04:12:14 PM

Said that way - no role - hard to contest.  But it was definitely secondary to the unemployment crisis a decade later.  German historical memory is selective in that regard - you would think that Germans would be sensitive to the dangers of extreme austerity in the presence of active right and left wing populist movements.

Sure.  But isn't there a connection between the hyperinflation and the later unemployment which then provided the necessary economic condition for extremist parties to have some measure of success at the ballot box.

Savonarola

Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe

Does anyone else think of "Lolita" when they read this?  It's hard enough to think of a idyllic romance in any of Poe's work; but Nabokov made it impossible (at least for me) in this case.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley

While there's a couple transliterations of "Ramses" today, it's surprising that it was ever transliterated as "Ozymandias".  The poem is about Ramses II; who was indeed one of the most prolific builders of ancient Egypt.  A number of the monuments he built to himself are still extant; at the time the poem was written the temple complex at Abu Simbel was just being rediscovered.

I learned that Shelley wrote this as a competition with Horace Smith.  Smith's poem lacks the genius of Shelley's and hammers the point home; but is still interesting.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock