News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Started Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I normally don't read thrillers, but I was in the mood for something Cold War-ish. Haven't seen the BBC series or the recent movie yet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2015, 02:02:48 AM
Started Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I normally don't read thrillers, but I was in the mood for something Cold War-ish. Haven't seen the BBC series or the recent movie yet.

Watch the BBC version. Much better than the movie.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Anyone know anything great on Late Antique and Medieval Spain?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

https://tenthmedieval.wordpress.com/

Varied stuff on here but the guy's area of expertise is 10th century Catalonia.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Anything like that for Sicily or Italy too?

Savonarola

Leonardo da Vinci:  A Psychosexual Study of an Infantile Reminiscence by Sigmund Freud.

Freud seems obsessed by something, but I can't seem to put my penis on what... :unsure:

;)

Largely what you would expect; Freud proves that da Vinci was mother obsessed and homosexual by using some of his writings and artworks.  The best part is when Freud explains that homosexuality is caused by a domineering mother and either a weak-willed or absentee father.  It's full of crap; but nowhere near as full of crap as Dan Brown.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Dan Brown was amazingly effective at convincing people Constantine is the most important figure in Christian Theology.

All Christians were hippies who worshiped the divine feminine in girly rites of fluffy goodness. Than Constantine came along and made the penis superior to all. True story.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on June 22, 2015, 03:00:25 PM

Don't push your luck.    :D
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

Quote from: Queequeg on June 22, 2015, 03:00:25 PM

From an archaeological perspective, Villa to Village is still one of the more influential books.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 03:19:20 PM
Dan Brown was amazingly effective at convincing people Constantine is the most important figure in Christian Theology.

All Christians were hippies who worshiped the divine feminine in girly rites of fluffy goodness. Than Constantine came along and made the penis superior to all. True story.

Strangely enough I was just reading about Brancusi's "Princess X".  Those things are all over the place now.

;)

(Princess X is not safe for work; at least it wasn't safe for the 1920 Paris Salon.)

Dan Brown has been effective at convincing people of amazingly foolish things about art history as well.  I was watching a BBC documentary on great art works.  They discussed "The Da Vinci Code" when they were covering "The Last Supper."  :bleeding:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Reading an interesting history book about an invasion of an east asian nation by an army over a hundred thousand Christians armed with modern gunpowder weapons set on world conquest - the first part of the Imjin War, by Samuel Hawley. Very good stuff.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

If only they had succeeded we would all be worshiping Jesus Amiibos today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."