News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The nerds have let me down.  :weep:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

In Canada, those are Rockets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

I tought I already asked this, but a quick search implies otherwise... :unsure:

Can anyone recommend some good books on pike and shot warfare? Obviously books on the Thirty Years War and British Civil War would be prominent. The Wars with the Ottomans too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Well, do you want a history of those periods, or a history of specifically that type of fighting?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2015, 10:39:31 PM
Well, do you want a history of those periods, or a history of specifically that type of fighting?
The wars in general and the style of fighting specifically.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Haven't read any book that really had the style of fighting as focus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2015, 05:01:57 AM
Really? The height of Sweden's power occurred during that time though.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2015, 05:22:35 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2015, 05:01:57 AM
Really? The height of Sweden's power occurred during that time though.

Yeah and many books on Gustavus Adolphus touch upon it but the style of fighting isn't the focus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

He was one of the greatest generals of the age, how could they just "touch on it"!? :ultra:

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point