News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm thinking of a major reading campaign.  A biography of every US President (well up until say Eisenhower, I don't want to get to modern),  Anyone know a good book on Washington?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 06:26:36 PM
They really should have shot Master and Commander, leaving out the Gibraltar part.  Not a bad scene or slow moment in Master and Commander.

Nah.  Too many different ship battles in Master and Commander.  Too hard to keep track of in a 2 hour movie.

Personally, I think Desolation Island would make a good movie - chased by a much larger ship, then once that battle is over a desperate struggle for survival until an enemy vessel also stationed at Desolation Island is their only hope for survival...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

On a completely related note, the missus and I are going to another Regency Ball in a couple weeks.  This time I've splurged and am having a full blown RN captain's uniform costume made for me.  It looks fucking fantastic, and I'll post pics in TBR when it's done.   :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 11:28:47 PM
On a completely related note, the missus and I are going to another Regency Ball in a couple weeks.  This time I've splurged and am having a full blown RN captain's uniform costume made for me.  It looks fucking fantastic, and I'll post pics in TBR when it's done.   :cool:

That is awesome.  :) I'm interested in hearing the details - I love costume-making.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Viper is outraged you are wearing the uniform of the hated colonial power that oppressed Canada so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 11:25:50 PM
Nah.  Too many different ship battles in Master and Commander.  Too hard to keep track of in a 2 hour movie.

There's two involving the Sophie: the Algerines and the Cacafuego.  Plus a bunch of prize chases.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on February 11, 2015, 02:37:38 PM
No, there really isn't good history in those books.  They have been pretty well savaged by actual historians.

And here I was hoping Bill O'Reilly was using his powers for good instead of evil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2015, 09:10:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 11:25:50 PM

There's two involving the Sophie: the Algerines and the Cacafuego.  Plus a bunch of prize chases.

The battle with the Cacafuego is my favourite battle so far and was a significant defining moment in Aubrey's career.  It would have been perfect for the purpose of introducing the Movie audience to the books.

Sophie Scholl

I miss having access to TBR. :(  Have you seen or read Austenland?  I've been moderately intrigued by the concept of watching it at some point, if only for Keri Russell. :wub:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 09:07:50 AM

That is awesome.  :) I'm interested in hearing the details - I love costume-making.

Not a ton of details to tell really, though I'll post pics.  We got the name of this lady who is making the uniform from friends (who are the ones putting on the event).  I had rented something similar once before, but at $100 it wasn't cheap, it wasn't 100% accurate, and it was 2-3 sizes too big.

So she runs a side business of making medeival, historical or fantasy costumes.  We went over a bunch of patterns to try and pick one that looked right (some parts had to be made up by hand though), picked some fabric, and she's almost done making it.

At $350, on the one hand it's hardly the smartest thing I've done with my money, but honestly I don't know how she makes any money doing this.  Just getting a regular handmade suit would cost more, never mind a historical recreation (and the ones I've seen online go for 5x that price).

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2015, 03:49:34 PM

Not a ton of details to tell really, though I'll post pics.  We got the name of this lady who is making the uniform from friends (who are the ones putting on the event).  I had rented something similar once before, but at $100 it wasn't cheap, it wasn't 100% accurate, and it was 2-3 sizes too big.

So she runs a side business of making medeival, historical or fantasy costumes.  We went over a bunch of patterns to try and pick one that looked right (some parts had to be made up by hand though), picked some fabric, and she's almost done making it.

At $350, on the one hand it's hardly the smartest thing I've done with my money, but honestly I don't know how she makes any money doing this.  Just getting a regular handmade suit would cost more, never mind a historical recreation (and the ones I've seen online go for 5x that price).

That does sound insanely cheap.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2015, 03:49:34 PM

That seems pretty darn reasonable for a bespoke item, presumably made of good cloth. Just think of all the confusion it'll cause future generations as they try to work out when and how great grandfather BB served in the Royal Navy, maybe he was some super sluth or perhaps a secret agent formerly in RN Reserve?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 19, 2015, 02:10:11 PM
I miss having access to TBR. :(  Have you seen or read Austenland?  I've been moderately intrigued by the concept of watching it at some point, if only for Keri Russell. :wub:

Nope.

But I have no particular love or affection for Jane Austen.  I haven't read any of her books.  In advance of the first ball I did see the mid 90s Colin Firth P&P miniseries and enjoyed it well enough, but not enough to start wanting to recreate it.

When my wife first wanted to go to this ball, I was a little unenthused - until I realized I could just as easily think of it as a Patrick O'Brien ball.   :cool:  They are writing about the exact same time period, and while O'Brien does tend to focus on Aubrey's life at sea, he does include some very lengthy passages (and nearly the entirety of the second book, Post Captain) to his life on land, which certainly did include going to dinner parties and balls.

Admiral Yi

If you haven't already watched it, I thought the Pride and Prejudice movie was quite good.