News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:26:03 PM
Speaking of the AWI, does anybody read Charles Beard anymore?  Or is he still out of fashion?

Out of fashion for about 50 years I think.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on October 30, 2014, 03:15:02 AM
I didn't like the Ackroyd history of London that much. I find his prose style too ornate for a history.
I enjoyed it, but it was jarring. I think once I realised this wasn't just a mood setting introductory affectation, but a permanent one the book got a lot better.

Edit: And Hawksmoor is very similar, but obviously a novel. His 17th/18th century first person narrative sections are extraordinary.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2014, 02:32:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:26:03 PM
Speaking of the AWI, does anybody read Charles Beard anymore?  Or is he still out of fashion?

Out of fashion for about 50 years I think.

Just never got past that whole WW1 thing.

Sophie Scholl

For a combo of work and mutual enjoyment I've been reading some French and Indian War/Seven Years War material.  I just finished Crucible of War by Fred Anderson, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and am now starting into The French and Indian War and the Conquest of New France by William R. Nester.  Definitely a fan of the era, but it just makes me realize more and more how fucked up Colonial Americans were.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 02, 2014, 09:53:27 PM
Definitely a fan of the era, but it just makes me realize more and more how fucked up Colonial Americans were.

Yeah, and it's their spirit of freedomism and libertytude that conservatives insist on embracing as virtues.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2014, 09:55:56 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 02, 2014, 09:53:27 PM
Definitely a fan of the era, but it just makes me realize more and more how fucked up Colonial Americans were.

Yeah, and it's their spirit of freedomism and libertytude that conservatives insist on embracing as virtues.
They would fit right in.  Christianity is incredibly important unless it contradicts the, brown people are dangerous and need to be wiped out if they can't be bought out, taxes are great as long as they themselves aren't taxed, laws are great as long as they themselves don't have to abide by them, stir up the poorest masses with distorted press and bribery to do your bidding when you can't bribe the top people, wars are great for fun and profit, every other non-WASP group is suspect and should be treated as such, the French are horrible, etc., etc.  I can definitely see why they look to them for guidance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on October 30, 2014, 01:19:09 PM
Been vaguely looking for a decent overview of early American history. Have downloaded the Wood book. Thanks for the tip off Tim.
You're welcome. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

OK help me, I'm getting quite tempted by this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Dictionary-National-Biography-Association/dp/019861411X/ref=cm_rdp_product

What's principally stopping me at the moment is the lack of shelf space.  :D

edit:
incidentally that works out at less than 2c per page.  :cool:

or enough paper in the volumes to cover more two-thirds of ManU's Old Trafford football pitch.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Gups on October 29, 2014, 09:01:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2014, 08:48:18 PM
On a different note - does anyone know of any good books on the Soviet Union? I tried to do a bit of a search and it looks like most works either look at initial revolution or random events/leaders throughout its history. I was hoping to find something that covered a good chunk of time - like the early years or something like that.

You could try Orlando Fige's "A People's Tragedy" which covers 1891-1924.

He's also done a broader history 1891-1991

Robert Service has written a Penguin history from the 1890s to the present day.

Wow, Fige's book just came and it is like a brick. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Anyone have any recommendations for books on Oliver Cromwell and/or the English Civil War?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sheilbh

Britain in Revolution by Austin Woolrych
God's Englishman by Christopher Hill
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

So rather than seeing the movie, I opted to read Gone Girl now. What a rather dreadful read that was.

[spoiler]I found it deeply unsatisfying as Amy was completely repugnant post the twist with no real explanation other than "she's just so psycho." The ending also made no sense whatsoever with his whole falling back in love with her and then deciding that they would raise a baby together. It felt like the author used up all of her energy in creating the minute details of Amy's plot and then sort of lost steam after that.

I did appreciate learning that every single one of the diary entries was completely faked. That was something I wasn't expecting - and I can always love a good, unreliable narrator. Shame the "good" can no longer be applied to Amy's chapters post the reveal.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

I finished the third book of Will Durant's story of civilization; "Caesar and Christ."  Septimius Severus would be a great name for a super villain, or maybe a rival claimant to the Cobra organization along with Cobra Commander and Serpentor.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I have a picture of him as my smart phone sleep screen (and Marcus Aurelius as normal wallpaper).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.