And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on September 23, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Anyone know any books on super early Roman/Classical Italian history?  Pre-Punic wars.  Etruscans and Tarquins and whatnot.

I read for instance The Beginnings of Rome: Italy and Rome from the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars (c.1000-264 BC) and found it interesting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2014, 08:57:53 AM
Can anyone recommend good books on the history of Japan and/or Korea?

Anything from around 500B.C. to the early 20th century.

I'm particularly interested in the Yayoi migration from Korea to Japan, the three kingdom era of Korea, the Kamakura shogunate, the Goreyo Kingdom, the warring state era of Japan, the Imjin War and the Meiji restoration.

Good English language histories of Japan don't grow on trees. Some books I've read and found interesting:

A History of Japan to 1334 by George Sansom. Old but the competition isn't overwhelming.
A History of Japan, 1334-1615 by George Sansom. Same.
The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen. Covers the last 400 years in 900+ pages.

One annoying thing with looking for books on Japan is wading through hundreds of Stephen Turnbull books with 90% recycled content. I respect him as a businessman but Jesus Christ. Awful.

Haven't read dick about Korea.

Ed Anger

Alison Weir's War of the Roses.

Good stuff. Englishmen bashing in each other's brains.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2014, 10:31:41 AM
One annoying thing with looking for books on Japan is wading through hundreds of Stephen Turnbull books with 90% recycled content.

Is original research important for a non-historian to be reading?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 24, 2014, 10:04:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2014, 10:31:41 AM
One annoying thing with looking for books on Japan is wading through hundreds of Stephen Turnbull books with 90% recycled content.

Is original research important for a non-historian to be reading?  :huh:

I don't follow.

Syt

I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez' 100 Years of Solitude. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

I read the first volume of Will Durant's story of Civilization "Our Oriental Heritage."  It covers Egypt and the Middle East until Alexander and India, China and Japan to then then present day (1934.)

He takes a romantic view of the cultures of China and India; going so far as to praise Indian men for their sexual restraint.   :huh:

At the end of the volume he writes of the inevitability of a US war with Japan.  I've read some Monday morning quarterbacking of FDR's foreign policy in the Pacific in the 40s and 50s; so it was surprising to see Durant viewing it as inevitable.  Especially since it was written before even the Second Sino-Japanese war.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2014, 12:12:06 PM
I read the first volume of Will Durant's story of Civilization "Our Oriental Heritage."  It covers Egypt and the Middle East until Alexander and India, China and Japan to then then present day (1934.)

He takes a romantic view of the cultures of China and India; going so far as to praise Indian men for their sexual restraint.   :huh:

At the end of the volume he writes of the inevitability of a US war with Japan.  I've read some Monday morning quarterbacking of FDR's foreign policy in the Pacific in the 40s and 50s; so it was surprising to see Durant viewing it as inevitable.  Especially since it was written before even the Second Sino-Japanese war.

It's the weakest of the series by far. The romanticized writing is present in all volumes, but he does it very well.
I enjoyed reading them a lot, especially from vol.4 onwards.

Eddie Teach

Well, when he published his book in 1935, India only had 350 million people(including Pakistan and Bangladesh). Clearly they've been pretty busy since then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

What was his reasoning?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 30, 2014, 02:49:16 AM

What was his reasoning?

He sees Japan's expansion in historic terms and reasons that their aggression must eventually put them in conflict with the dominant power. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I read "Understanding Poetry" by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren.  Mostly it's an anthology with some discussion and some discussion questions.  As usual what's left out is as interesting as what's in.  The Augustan Age is almost entirely overlooked; but Byron is heavily represented.  I thought that was strange given that Byron's satires seem to progress from Pope and Dryden rather than come from the milieu of Shelly and Keats.  The cavaliers are missing.   :mad:  The metaphysical poets are well represented, and they even have all of Milton's Lycidas.

The twentieth century is well represented (except William Carlos Williams, who, inexplicably, only shows up in the appendices.)  Warren didn't include any of his own poems; he did put Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress" in there.  It would have been amusing if he had left it out.  There are also folk ballads, like "Frankie and Johnny" and "Jessie James," as well as a conscious effort to put in (what Brooks regarded as) bad poems.

CountDeMoney

derspiess is free to add his "lol, black people can't handle money" comments

QuoteAuthor Zane filed for bankruptcy as her new movie, "Addicted," was in production
washingtonpost.com

Zane, the best-selling author who has sold millions of steamy novels and is listed as executive producer of a new movie, "Addicted," based on one of her books, filed for bankruptcy in June, months after being dubbed Maryland's top individual tax cheat.

The Prince George's County-based erotica author, who is sometimes compared to "Fifty Shades of Grey" writer E.L. James, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Maryland on June 11.

Zane, whose real name is Kristina Laferne Roberts, listed her total assets at more than $1.4 million, including her $950,000 "primary residence" in Upper Marlboro and a $530,000 "investment property" in Bowie, according to court records. She claimed total liabilities of more than $3.4 million, including $337,151.85 in back Maryland taxes and more than $1.4 million to creditors. She listed the amount that she owes the IRS as "unknown."

According to court records filed by the federal government, Roberts owes the IRS more than $540,000. In 2010, the Treasury Department placed a tax lien on her Upper Marlboro home, which Roberts bought for more than $1 million in 2004.

An IRS spokesman said he could not comment on individual tax cases. According to general information released by the IRS, "Whether a federal tax debt may be discharged" by Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, "depends on the unique facts and circumstances of each case."

Roberts's bankruptcy attorney, Terry Morris, said he could not comment on the case. Roberts, 48, who has written more than 30 books, did not respond to several requests for comment. She received a certificate for completing an online credit counseling course in May — a requirement before filing for bankruptcy.

In January, Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot dubbed Roberts Maryland's top individual "tax cheat." The state has been trying to collect back taxes from Roberts since 2003.

In her bankruptcy filing, Roberts, founder of Strebor Books, an imprint of Atria Books/Simon & Schuster, and creator and producer of two Cinemax television series, "Zane's Sex Chronicles" and "Zane's The Jump Off," estimated her monthly income at $4,700. She reported her checking account balance at $400, her savings at $51 and a money market account balance of $8.

Roberts listed her employer as Simon & Schuster and reported that her income from the publishing house was $91,000 in 2013, according to the bankruptcy filing. In 2012, she reported an income of $362,000 from the publishing company. She said she has made $28,374 so far in 2014 from Simon & Schuster.

On the same day she filed for bankruptcy, Zane responded on her Facebook page to a fan who wanted to know how to handle a sudden visitation request from the father of her two daughters. There was no mention of Zane's financial difficulties.

On June 24, she posted a trailer for "Addicted," which is being released next week. "Thank you very much for making my Addicted trailer a huge success! You are amazing and a testament to the fact that there's an audience that will support films with and by people of color that represents the diversity of our society. I am excited to share this journey with you!"

Zane's Facebook page has more than one million fans. "Addicted," a thriller based on her best-selling 2001 novel, tells the story of an affluent African American business woman whose addiction to sex ruins her life with a "dream husband...two wonderful children and a flourishing career." The movie, distributed by Lionsgate/Codeblack Films, stars Sharon Leal and Boris Kodjoe.

Roberts was born in D.C. and is the daughter of a retired teacher and a well-known theologian. She attended Howard University, where she majored in chemical engineering.

She began writing her steamy novels at night while working as a researcher by day. She has sold millions of copies of her books, hitting the New York Times bestsellers list more than 25 times.

In 1999, Zane founded her own publishing house and called it Strebor Books. Strebor, which was headquartered in Upper Marlboro, is Roberts spelled backwards. In the spring of 1999, Zane self-published "Zane's: The Sex Chronicles," a collection of 40 stories, which was a publishing hit. In 2000, Zane published "Addicted" and the next year, "Shame on It All."

According to Roberts's bankruptcy filing, Strebor Books International closed in June 2013. However, in June 2014, Strebor books released the memoir, "Mayor for Life: The Incredible Story of Marion Barry, Jr.," which was written by Barry, who represents Ward 8 on the D.C. Council, and author Omar Tyree.

In his acknowledgments, Barry thanked Zane. "Because of you," Barry wrote, "generations will learn the real story of Marion Barry Jr." In June, Roberts appeared on stage with Barry at his book signing in Southeast Washington, where readers stood in line to purchase copies and have them signed by the former mayor.

On Thursday, Christine Feldmann, a spokeswoman for the state comptroller's office, said that the state's case against Roberts is still active. "Mrs. Roberts has still not satisfied all of her outstanding liens," Feldmann said.

Maryland's "Caught in the Web" site listed 25 individuals and 25 businesses who owed the state more than $6.1 million in taxes. State officials said publishing Robert's name at the top of that list was one of the last steps they took in a long process to collect back taxes.

A spokesman for the Maryland Attorney General's Office said he could not comment on whether the office is investigating the case. A state official said criminal charges against individuals who owe the state back taxes are rare, adding that the state is more successful collecting back taxes by garnishing wages or placing liens against property.

Liep

Cormac McCarthy - The Road. Well that was bleak.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk