News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Empire of Secrets.

Very interesting history on the role played by the intelligence services (especially MI5) during decolonisation, largely based on relatively recently declassified material.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Reading the Bombing War by Richard Overy. Interesting stuff, and well written.

The Brain

Finished Superfortress: The Boeing B-29 and American Airpower in World War II, by Bombs Away LeMay. America, fuck yeah!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Maladict on August 03, 2014, 01:59:43 PM
Reading the Bombing War by Richard Overy. Interesting stuff, and well written.

Yep. Ignore Ide.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on July 23, 2014, 08:25:37 AM
I've been reading the Ralph Griffith translation of the Atharvaveda.  Some of his translations are odd; my favorite is a hymn entitled:

The hyperbolical glorification of the Vrātya or Aryan Non-conformist

I think I'll start calling myself "The Aryan Non-conformist."   :cool:

I finished the (why it gotta be) black Yajur-Veda and the Atharvaveda.  The black Yajur-Veda has liturgies for the various sacrifices, simlar to the white Yajur-Veda; but there's a number of prose parts which explains the meaning of the individual sacrifices.  These are always presented as a formulaic question and answer of Rishis.

The Atharvaveda is the last of the Vedas and covers a lot of different topics.  The first several books are the most curious, as they're filled with spells and charms, magic (in this sense) is not found anywhere else in the Vedas.  Later books have hymns, prayers and the occasional hyperbolical glorifications.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 10:32:20 PM
Anyway takeyh is pretty sharp so I certainly wouldn't say its "fiction"

CC was just trolling Yi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I picked up Annie Proulx's "Accordian Crimes" at a friends moving sale because I had read and enjoyed her book about the dude that kills a chick while fucking her and turns into a vagrant out of grief.  It appears to be telling stories the of various immigrants to the US through the device of an accordian that gets passed around.

One downside is Annie's picture on the back cover.  I had pictured her as this willowy hippy chick and she's a battleaxe.  Much nicer to read books by hott chick authors.

Razgovory

Authors are not known for their attractiveness.  They are sort of like Radio personalities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2014, 06:31:44 PM
I picked up Annie Proulx's "Accordian Crimes" at a friends moving sale because I had read and enjoyed her book about the dude that kills a chick while fucking her and turns into a vagrant out of grief.  It appears to be telling stories the of various immigrants to the US through the device of an accordian that gets passed around.

One downside is Annie's picture on the back cover.  I had pictured her as this willowy hippy chick and she's a battleaxe.  Much nicer to read books by hott chick authors.

At least the battleaxe could have the decency to put a blurb or reviews on the back cover and her picture on the overleaf.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

If I ever write a book I'm going to put that picture of Conrad Veidt on the dust jacket.  I reckon these days more people identify me with that then my own face.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

You should use the photo that comes with the frame, Raz.  That'll throw them.

crazy canuck

Read the Cave and the Light while on holiday.  The author gives his take on how Western thought, science and culture has been influenced by Plato and Aristotle.  It is an enjoyable read right up to the point where he struggles to describe modern economics.  But in the areas that are is strengths (particularly the impact on the development Christianity) he does well.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2014, 09:03:14 PM
If I ever write a book

'Best Basements in Missouri'

It would be one of those big Coffee Table books.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

A basement tape about basements?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.