News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 06:02:23 PM
I was thinking of a slightly different demographic Joan.

They are pretty much agreed on this point so what difference does it make?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The difference is that Tea Partiers are generally derided as uninformed boobs while the other type are lauded as revolutionary heroes.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2014, 04:40:38 PM
The difference is that Tea Partiers are generally derided as uninformed boobs while the other type are lauded as revolutionary heroes.

Or godless pinko destroyers of America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2014, 08:03:17 PM
Waiting on: The Crossing of the Suez by Saad El Shazly to get here.

It be here
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

It's a solid book. It sets fast, but takes days to cure.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I found it a little too dense.

CountDeMoney

So you just couldn't sink into it, Ed?

Ed Anger

It was a hard book to understand.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's latest Renko novel. A huge shrug.
Also finished George H. Stein's Waffen-SS book. Less meh. Quite good, really.

mongers

I'm looking for a good general history of the British Isles in the 17th century. I say British Isles as I don't just want English history and would like details of goings on in Ireland and Scotland too.
Not too bothered about the first couple of decades, but would like it to stretch to the start of George I's reign.

Any recommendations appreciated, but do remember I'm not planning on writing an MA or doing anything academic, just general interest reading.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Occupy 99% blah blah blah?
Their response is that the "insiders" always make off good - if the Treasury made money back it's only because the .1 percenters stood to gain from it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: Norgy on June 16, 2014, 06:47:16 AM
Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's latest Renko novel. A huge shrug.
Also finished George H. Stein's Waffen-SS book. Less meh. Quite good, really.
Martin Cruz-Smith is a poor man's Michael Dibdin.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2014, 12:56:42 PM

Occupy 99% blah blah blah?
Their response is that the "insiders" always make off good - if the Treasury made money back it's only because the .1 percenters stood to gain from it.

And that's off the mark how, exactly?

Razgovory

I thought we all stood to gain from the bailout.  By not ending up like Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017