News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Just started reading the collected short stories of Richard Matheson. When I was a teenager and still couldn't read English only his two most famous novels were published in Spanish (The Incredible Shrinking Man and I am Legend), so this will settle and old account.

Strangely, I'm finding the ones that were turned into Twilight Zone episodes to be the weakest, but that's probably because I have seen those countless of times.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 05:17:02 PM
I really recommend Pursuit of Glory. It's really impressive that Tim Blanning managed to write a survey history that was that interesting and didn't seem too superficial.

While I agree it's a very good book, I found it a terrible slog to read.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on April 29, 2014, 03:01:21 AM
I really recommend Pursuit of Glory. It's really impressive that Tim Blanning managed to write a survey history that was that interesting and didn't seem too superficial.

I don't know. Because of the wide range of topics and anecdotes he covered I found it was an absolute breeze to read.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2014, 03:15:57 AM
Quote from: Maladict on April 29, 2014, 03:01:21 AM

I don't know. Because of the wide range of topics and anecdotes he covered I found it was an absolute breeze to read.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I had such issues with it. It seemed a fine enough book.
To be re-read, perhaps.

Maladict

The Rings of Saturn by W G Sebald.
Liking this a lot. A walk in East Anglia prompts diverse reflections and additional narrators that blend together. Good stuff.

Syt

Saw this at my bookstore today:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I think Shakespeare would have done it better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I recently got a new delivery, including the following.

Evans and Peattie, Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics and Technology in the IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVY 1887-1941.

Peattie, Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941.

Norgy

What an eclectic selection.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 06:15:08 PM
What an eclectic selection.

No shit.  Everybody knows Empire Strikes Back is much more Shakespearean-appropriate material.

Syt

They did The Empire Striketh Back as well. :P

I picked up Dante's Divine Comedy, though. I was looking for an edition that had its annotations as footnotes, and finally found one.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2014, 02:47:20 AM

I picked up Dante's Divine Comedy, though. I was looking for an edition that had its annotations as footnotes, and finally found one.

Which one did you get?

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on May 03, 2014, 04:25:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2014, 02:47:20 AM

Which one did you get?

:huh: The Star Wars one.