News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Anyone have good book recommendations for Classical Greece?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I've previously mentioned "The Classical World" by Robin Lane Fox.

Sheilbh

Kitto's 'The Greeks' is a good starting point.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Got a shipment.

Rana Mitter, China's War with Japan 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival.

Peter Harmsen, Shanghai 1937: Stalingrad on the Yangtze.

Edited by some dudes, The Battle for China: Essays on the Military History of the Sino-Japanse War of 1937-1945.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
Picked up A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings.

The writing itself is not that to give me a woodie, but I was prepared for much worse, having some experience with the fantasy genre.

The plot is the main draw, though character & world development is not ignored.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
Picked up A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings.

The writing itself is not that to give me a woodie, but I was prepared for much worse, having some experience with the fantasy genre.

It's pretty good for Fantasy, I think that's a major draw.  A lot of fantasy and science fiction authors produce dreadful prose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I'm coming to the opinion that spoken dialogue is one of Martins' stronger suits.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 07:16:27 PM
I'm coming to the opinion that spoken dialogue is one of Martins' stronger suits.

Yes, enjoy it while it lasts.  The first three books are wonderful.

Savonarola

One of the projects I'm working on is building a point to point microwave system through the interior of Colombia.  The system goes through mostly banana plantations; it's common for workers to get paid in bananas in the area.  There's a number of small villages along the line; on the highway residents will place speed bumps in order to slow traffic down in order to sell travelers guava paste and queso blanco.

One of those little towns is Aracataca, the hometown  of Gabriel García Márquez and the model for "Macondo" in his novels.  I haven't had to go to Colombia (yet) but if I do I'll try to see that.  We have a tower right by it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

How far is that from FARC country?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 04:25:25 PM
How far is that from FARC country?

Not very far at all.  Today the area has been pacified; but three years ago FARC blew up the railroad tracks that we're running parallel to.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on February 13, 2014, 02:47:45 PM
Got a shipment.

Rana Mitter, China's War with Japan 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival.

Peter Harmsen, Shanghai 1937: Stalingrad on the Yangtze.

Edited by some dudes, The Battle for China: Essays on the Military History of the Sino-Japanse War of 1937-1945.

I'd be interested in hearing your conclusions when you're done your reading.

CountDeMoney

Rana Miller is probably one of the more accessible writers on Chinese history today, and puts actual effort in balancing out the complexities of the Sino-Japanese relationship, both pre- and post-war.

The Essays work, which I haven't read, is edited by Hans van de Ven, who absolutely knows his shit;  you would probably enjoy his own writings immensely and he pulls no punches on American political treatment of Chiang (read: Stillwell's incompetence) during the war.  He is probably my all-time fave-rave western Chinese academic after Alistair Johnston at Harvard.

But you asked The Brain.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, yeah, yeah...you're everybody's favorite not named Jacob, and I am Languish's Greatest Monster.  I get it.