And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2014, 08:47:45 PM
:bleeding:
I was just wondering how people doing the drinking thing survived my recent enthusiastic posts.

We aren't really taking a drink. Duh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Threviel

Quote from: Neil on January 12, 2014, 03:34:49 PM
I'm starting Shattered Sword on Berkut's recommendation.

Any good?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2014, 08:48:48 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2014, 08:47:45 PM
:bleeding:
I was just wondering how people doing the drinking thing survived my recent enthusiastic posts.

We aren't really taking a drink. Duh.

:whistle:

11B4V

Reading Stahl's Operation Barbarossa 50 pages in and having issues with some uncited claims he makes.  :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:58:54 PM
Reading Stahl's Operation Barbarossa 50 pages in and having issues with some uncited claims he makes.  :rolleyes:

Heh, I was reading Constantine Pleshakov's Tsar's Last Armada and tossed it aside after he claimed the Kaiser was a pillow biter.

I liked his Stalin's Folly much better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2014, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:58:54 PM

Heh, I was reading Constantine Pleshakov's Tsar's Last Armada and tossed it aside after he claimed the Kaiser was a pillow biter.

I liked his Stalin's Folly much better.

I'll keep driving on but, that just makes it tedious.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Threviel on January 14, 2014, 04:48:03 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 12, 2014, 03:34:49 PM
I'm starting Shattered Sword on Berkut's recommendation.

Any good?
So far I'm liking it.  The Japanocentric view intrigues me, since most of the Midway histories I've read.  I'm also enjoying that it's somewhat hard on Yamamoto.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Odd, why would someone want to pay for an ebook put out by P'dox that is freely available from other ebook services? Are their prefaces that good?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?748004-The-Art-of-War-and-The-Prince-now-available-as-Paradox-ebooks!

QuoteLet the grand masters of old lead the way when you experience Europa Universalis IV! To celebrate the new Conquest of Paradise expansion, Paradox Books has released its own editions of two timeless classic works of war and politics: The Art of War by Sun Tzu and The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. These books are both in the public domain, but they have been given new prefaces by senior staff members of Paradox Development Studio. Both books are available in the Apple iBookstore now: The Art of War and The Prince.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2014, 12:16:21 PM
QuoteThese books are both in the public domain, but they have been given new prefaces by senior staff members of Paradox Development Studio. Both books are available in the Apple iBookstore now: The Art of War and The Prince.

:lmfao:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grey Fox

I'm reading Prime Minister Stephen Harper's A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey

It's very good book about the early history of Professional Hockey and the death of Amateur sports in Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
I'm reading Prime Minister Stephen Harper's A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey

It's very good book about the early history of Professional Hockey and the death of Amateur sports in Canada.

I'm only half-way through, but enjoying it.

Problem is, of course, is that Harper isn't much of a writer.  It's very workmanlike stuff.  Thankfully the story he's telling is interesting enough to make it worthwhile.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 08:31:28 PM
Monty sucks.

Everybody knows who the best general on the Western Front was.  Lattre de Tassigny :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2014, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 01:41:05 PM

I'm only half-way through, but enjoying it.

Problem is, of course, is that Harper isn't much of a writer.  It's very workmanlike stuff.  Thankfully the story he's telling is interesting enough to make it worthwhile.

From me the novelty is reading the story from the point of view of Toronto instead of Montreal, that's a first.

I'm reading the French translation, it's a very good translation. One of the best I've come across.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

yeah I got that Harper book for christmas. Been thinking about picking it up.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

You are all very loyal citizens.

I'm reading King Edward VII: The Playboy Prince.  I got it for my mom for Christmas.