News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I've been reading "When Titans Clashed", the war on the eastern front. Pretty impressive on how the Russians were able to learn and adapt and change tactics by the second year of the war. Even during the first year they were trying to make the large attacks but lacked the experience to coordinate things to fully take advantage. Then too was the surprise the Germans got as they encountered Russian reserve armies that Russia had organized prior to the war, that German Intel knew nothing of. A shock to the Germans to encounter these new armies after having defeated previous Russian units.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on January 08, 2014, 02:37:38 PM
I've been reading "When Titans Clashed", the war on the eastern front. Pretty impressive on how the Russians were able to learn and adapt and change tactics by the second year of the war. Even during the first year they were trying to make the large attacks but lacked the experience to coordinate things to fully take advantage. Then too was the surprise the Germans got as they encountered Russian reserve armies that Russia had organized prior to the war, that German Intel knew nothing of. A shock to the Germans to encounter these new armies after having defeated previous Russian units.
That's always amazed me. They were entire fucking armies, how could German intel be so clueless?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Cause it happens a lot.  How could the US be so clueless about Tet?  How could the Soviets be so clueless about Barbarossa?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2014, 08:30:34 PM
Cause it happens a lot.  How could the US be so clueless about Tet?  How could the Soviets be so clueless about Barbarossa?
Soviet intelligence knew about it, Stalin refused to believe them.

Tet occurred in the context of a guerrilla war.

The Nazis managed to be completely ignorant of entire armies that were mobilized until they ran into them in the open field.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Did you ever run into spelling in the open field?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2014, 01:47:14 AM

Yet the Russian army planned for it. Go figure.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

I've been reading At War In Distant Waters.  It's been really interesting looking at British policy in regards to the war in the colonies through the prism of international trade and the insurance industry.  Although that's absolutely crucial, it really doesn't get as much coverage in most works.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Get a hold of a copy of Vladimir Rezun's Icebreaker, for some humerous WW2 conspiracy theory.

11B4V

Finnishing up with Nash's Hell's Gate, then on to Kershaw's It Never Snows in September.

11B4V

I have a kindle. I downloaded three books I've already read for references and another that is new to me. I dont know if I like reading books on a kindle. Maybe it's just strange. Feels weird.

11B4V

Hell's Gate (2002)
417 pages
Hard cover
8"x11"

This book covers the Cherkassy (Korsun) Pocket from Jan-Feb 1944. Trapped Germans holding out for dear life, thread bare German relief columns, and determined Red Army doing their utmost to see the Germans fail. Makes for high, tense drama encapsulated. Nash's writing style balances hard data interwoven with eyewitness accounts from both sides. This makes for a enjoyable read, which broadens audience appeal for those who can't deal with Glantz's writing style as an example. His focus is more on the German POV, 60/40, I'd venture. IMO he paints an excellent picture of the difficulties both sides had during the battle. Nash points out mistakes and successes of both sides. Of particular interest, the breakout phase of the battle. He conveys the desperation of the trapped Germans, the confusion then wrath of the Russians once they realized the breakout was underway, and the frustration of the ridiculously weak relief forces very well.  Another highlight is an excellent chapter on the aerial resupply by the Germans. Many superb pictures throughout the book, to include a lot of the actual participants. Maps are well laid out and easy to follow and are of tactical and operational scale.

Not as extensive and meaty as an Ide review, but then I'm lazy.

Recommended, 4.3 out of 5 Otto Gille's       

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2014, 01:47:14 AM

Tet occurred in the context of a guerrilla war.

The Nazis managed to be completely ignorant of entire armies that were mobilized until they ran into them in the open field.

Military commands get enormous amounts of intelligence.  Shifting through it can be difficult.  There are also less flattering reasons why these things happen.  High ranking officers can be arrogant and surround themselves with yes men.  Unwelcome intelligence estimates can be met with hostility, creating a bubble.  The enemy can be  underestimated for various unsound military reasons and the enemy can be actively trying to deceive their opponents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on January 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM

Get a hold of a copy of Vladimir Rezun's Icebreaker, for some humerous WW2 conspiracy theory.

Yeah I heard of that.  The name through me for a loop though.  I was thinking "I thought Victor Suvorov wrote that", I look it up and and it turns out they are the same guy.  Russians. :rolleyes: