And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 04, 2014, 06:36:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2014, 06:33:21 PM
Were really that many German officers that believed the war could be won by March of 1945?

I bet that asskisser nazi Schorner might have.

I wonder if anyone ever called him "Schnorrer", (Yiddish for bum).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Syt on December 25, 2013, 05:50:59 AM
A book recommendation on facebook from my oldest sister (not to me, but to my other sisters):

Really sad when the promo blurb is cringe-worthy. Learning she was breeding and what not.

Though at least Ms. Loch is making money. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2014, 06:33:21 PM
Were really that many German officers that believed the war could be won by March of 1945?

Probably not.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Days of Battle: Armoured Operations North of the River Danube, Hungary 1944-45 Hardcover
by Nortbert Számvéber (Chief of Hungarian Military Archives)
264 pages
Quality hard cover book with gloss pages and good maps of the areas covered.

This is a operational narrative of Axis and Soviet actions between 11 Dec '44 to 31 Mar '45 broken into four areas.
1. Battles between the Ipoly and Garam rivers 11-31 Dec '44.
2. Actions around Komarom 6-22 Jan '45
3. Operation Sudwind 17-24 Feb '45  :yeah:
4. Soviet- Romanian attacks in the Bratislava-Brno area 25-31 Mar '45.

It also covers the actions of the Hungarian Szent Laszlo division in regards to the areas covered. You will not find any of the Konrad Offensives, Lake Balaton Offensive or the Siege of Budapest which is good. I would class this book as not for the casual reader/enthusiast. You will need to be a least familiar with the big picture operations, units, and places in Hungry at the time or you'll be lost. You will not find heart warming stories of the east front nor is this a memoir.

4.5/5

Not recommended for the casual/ part time east front reader.     
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Why don't you read a Bulge or D-Day book you commie.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2014, 08:12:43 PM

How drabbingly boring. Maybe a good one on Op. Goodwood in the near future.

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 08:22:28 PM

Monty sucks.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 08:01:05 PM

It also covers the actions of the Hungarian Szent Laszlo division in regards to the areas covered. You will not find any of the Konrad Offensives, Lake Balaton Offensive or the Siege of Budapest which is good. I would class this book as not for the casual reader/enthusiast. You will need to be a least familiar with the big picture operations, units, and places in Hungry at the time or you'll be lost. You will not find heart warming stories of the east front nor is this a memoir.

Are there any such stories? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 08:31:28 PM

Monty sucks.

Agreed

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2014, 08:34:16 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 08:01:05 PM

Are there any such stories? :unsure:

Tongue in cheek, Tim.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 08:35:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 08:31:28 PM

Monty sucks.

Agreed

I read Caen: Anvil of Victory and laughed my ass off.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Syt on December 25, 2013, 05:50:59 AM
A book recommendation on facebook from my oldest sister (not to me, but to my other sisters):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALD1DIE/ref=r_soa_w_d

Real wardens of Inglewood get hazard pay.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Anyone read Emperor of All Maladies or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks?  Also looking for more laymany books on cancer.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."