News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 08:58:54 AM
Garbon wishes to deny he is travelling through time.
I think he's more annoyed by the idea that he'd wish to be "fabulous!".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2013, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2013, 08:50:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 08:32:39 AM
Read Family Favorites, historical fiction by Alfred Duggan about the Roman Emperor Elagabalus.

Very amusing. Makes the emperor appear to be something like a young garbon, if given unlimited power.  :D

Machinations in the empire raise a 14 year old Syrian heriditary priest of a sun-god, whose manifestation on earth is a large black phallic rock (a meteorite), to the throne. He's determined to be fabulous.

Trouble ensues as his grandmother attempts to tempt or force him into heterosexuality - for example, by buying up a whole flock of hott female slaves and telling the young emperor to play with them naked (he does, too - he harnesses them to chariots, naked, in place of horses and has his boy-friends race 'em for cash prizes. Take that, hetero-normatives!  :P ).

Racy stuff for 1960, when it was written. 

<_<

Also, wtf? I'm now old?

Well, you ain't 14 anymore.  :P

Then say "younger". :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2013, 09:21:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 08:58:54 AM
Garbon wishes to deny he is travelling through time.
I think he's more annoyed by the idea that he'd wish to be "fabulous!".

I would have thought he'd be annoyed at being compared to Elagabalus in the first place ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Anyone else read Maddaddam yet?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 08:48:22 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 13, 2013, 04:36:15 AM
Reading Malthus' Aunt's latest, a sequel to Oryx and Year of the Flood.

Margaret Atwood really really hates business casual clothing. It's kind of hilarious. Like listening to a Bond fashion blogger talk about Timothy Dalton.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Malthus's aunt?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 13, 2013, 05:53:49 PM

Margaret Atwood really really hates business casual clothing. It's kind of hilarious. Like listening to a Bond fashion blogger talk about Timothy Dalton.

Malthus's aunt?

:lol:

Welcome back, you need to post more.

Malthus

Malthus's aunt?

Yes, and no, I haven't read it yet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

Malthus's aunt?

I think you missed the joke bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2013, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

Malthus's aunt?

I think you missed the joke bit.

That I did.  :D

Gups

Be interested in views on MadAdam. I loved O&C but thought Year of the Flood was pretty average. MadAdam has been getting quite luke warm reviews.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2013, 08:30:18 PM

Thanks.....my current role as acting editor is keeping me busier than usual...

Malthus's aunt?

:lol:

Welcome back, you need to post more.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Decided I needed some fiction. Been reading the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.  I really liked his "The Terror", and wanted to try out the audiobook function on my Kindle.  So far I enjoy it.  It has an intriguing plot, and is told in an interesting way, ( all the main characters tell stories about themselves in an imitation of the Canterbury tales).  I remember Shelf mentioning that he liked it.  It's not ineptly written, but Simmons has gotten better in his craft since 1989.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Anyone know anything on Polynesian history and culture?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

I know that American Samoans eat a shitload of Spam.

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2013, 03:32:35 AM
Decided I needed some fiction. Been reading the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.  I really liked his "The Terror", and wanted to try out the audiobook function on my Kindle.  So far I enjoy it.  It has an intriguing plot, and is told in an interesting way, ( all the main characters tell stories about themselves in an imitation of the Canterbury tales).  I remember Shelf mentioning that he liked it.  It's not ineptly written, but Simmons has gotten better in his craft since 1989.

I like his recent output. Thought Terror was a fantastic book. Black Hills and Drood are also worth reading...but didnt care for Flashback so much

Apparently AMC is developing The Terror as a series. Can't wait.
Civis Romanus Sum