News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

"Over dinner, Stephen had baited her into declaring that she'd like to see the Middle East bombed to a parking lot."

Holy shit, CdM will fall in love.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 09:01:20 AM
Playing this at work, I got - "Occasionally, the moderator will choose to take on a specific role in the focus group interview."

:hmm:

Work version - sounds like fun.

Let's see...

QuoteThus, substantial interference with the trial process by causing undue delay and expense or by creating an appearance of substantial unfairness at any stage of the proceedings may result in a conviction for contempt, regardless of prejudice to the accused".

Kinky.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

"Those whom they defeated either had to pay tribute or face the full onslaught of the Assyrian war machine, which under Assurnasirpal acquired a deserved reputation for savagery."

I think I got Seedy's...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Kleves

QuoteStumbling along Halsted's crowded sidewalks, his dress uniform now as filthy as a set of battlefield fatigues, Avery fled from the paranoia of accusing glances to a dirty crawlspace beneath a riveted riser for the local maglev line.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

crazy canuck

"Such expenses represent part of the price that the plaintiff has to incure to secure his bargain"

:(

Malthus

That was pretty good, Mr. Druid, but why'd it take ya so long?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 12, 2013, 10:00:10 AM
"Those whom they defeated either had to pay tribute or face the full onslaught of the Assyrian war machine, which under Assurnasirpal acquired a deserved reputation for savagery."

I think I got Seedy's...

Go on. I'm mildly turned on.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2013, 10:47:56 AM
That was pretty good, Mr. Druid, but why'd it take ya so long?

Which form were you in? Cat, bear, treant, fat chicken with antlers...?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, by Piers Brendon.

Some early fun facts: a higher proportion of white crewmen died on slavers than did slaves.  When the slave trade was abolished, half of British long distance shipping was involved in the trade.  Disruption of food supplies to Jamaica caused by the American Revolution was the impetus for Bligh's trip to Tahiti to acquire breadfruit.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, by Piers Brendon.

Some early fun facts: a higher proportion of white crewmen died on slavers than did slaves.  When the slave trade was abolished, half of British long distance shipping was involved in the trade.  Disruption of food supplies to Jamaica caused by the American Revolution was the impetus for Bligh's trip to Tahiti to acquire breadfruit.

The first fun fact makes perfect sense: most people on slave ships who died, would have died of disease, and White crew members would have less resistance to African diseases than Africans.

Hence the old sailor's ditty:

The Bight of Benin! The Bight of Benin!
One comes out, when a hundred went in!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2013, 08:30:34 PM
I'm currently reading Peter Mandelson's memoir. Like all good ones I think it sometimes reveals more than the author intends.
I think this is the best of the New Labour books I've read.

Mandelson's got an interesting story even before Tony and Gordon start rowing. He was grandson of a great Labour Minister (and Deputy Prime Minister) and his parents were family friends of the Wilsons. As he said in his high camp speech at Labour Party Conference, he was born into the Labour Party. So it's interesting to read him reflecting on his time as a reformist council member in Lambeth when it was run by Trots and then as media director for Neil Kinnock. It's also the only thing I've ever read that makes the European Commission seem interesting.

It's striking how little he mentions his private life despite now being 'comfortable in his own skin' and there's a sense that it's something he'll never be willing to talk about. So there's mention of a lover in the 80s and his outing by the News of the World during the 87 election campaign, there's a few fleeting references to Reinaldo later on in the book. But I feel there's an interesting story to be told that we don't get. Being a gay man (and known as a gay man) trying to help resurrect Labour in the 80s must have been quite difficult and there must have been effects from it though we're never really let into that side of Mandelson.

Which is the best point of the book. It's got a very good ghost-writer, or Mandelson wrote it himself because there's a real tone to the book. He's clear, vain, funny and often faux-innocent (after one argument with Brown he 'accidentally' let the door shut heavily creating the impression he'd stormed out and slammed the door - and he remembers that detail 13 years later :lol:). The Corfu-Osborne incident is a brilliant example. He's very dismissive of 'dripping poison' into Osborne's ear about Brown, apparently Osborne did most of the talking and Mandelson occasionally nodded. When that got out and, very shortly afterwards, it emerged Osborne had been seeking party donations from ex-pat Russian oligarchs Mandelson is faux-naive about how that story emerged. Though he does note it helped his position.

It's also fascinating on Brown especially and seems to me pretty damning on Blair.

Darling and Douglas Alexander also emerge well. At one point planning the 2010 campaign Harriet Harman suggests a theme of 'family, future, fairness'. Darling replies 'how about fucked?' Alexander 'Futile?' Mandelson 'Finished.' :lol:

Currently reading a sort of moneyball account of football.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I just finished The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia, by Peter Hopkirk.  It's a thrilling account of the British and Russian involvement in central Asia through the 19th and early 20th Century.  Since Hopkirk focuses on the accounts of individual men the book reads like an adventure novel.

The book was first published in the 1980s when the parallels between the Soviet and British invasion of Afghanistan were becoming obvious.  It was republished in 2006 when the parallels between the US-British and British invasion of Afghanistan were becoming obvious.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
I just finished The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia, by Peter Hopkirk.  It's a thrilling account of the British and Russian involvement in central Asia through the 19th and early 20th Century.  Since Hopkirk focuses on the accounts of individual men the book reads like an adventure novel.

The book was first published in the 1980s when the parallels between the Soviet and British invasion of Afghanistan were becoming obvious.  It was republished in 2006 when the parallels between the US-British and British invasion of Afghanistan were becoming obvious.   :bowler:

Yeah, its excellent.

Queequeg

Anyone know any good books on overall history of British-Indian relations? Including BEIC, the Raj and postcolonial period.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.