News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Just got The Sleepwalkers on the recommendation of my friend the history professor.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Let me know how you find it. I almost picked it up yesterday.

Edit: I did love the same author's history of Prussia.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I don't think I ever finished the Prussia one. I remember repeatedly getting bored. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I quite enjoyed it. I think it perked up a lot once it got past the Thirty Years War and we were moving on from the Margraviate of Brandenburg :lol:

I'm currently reading Peter Mandelson's memoir. Like all good ones I think it sometimes reveals more than the author intends.
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

I really liked The Sleepwalkers. It definitely altered my views on who bears responsibility for WWI.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2013, 12:12:00 AM
:hmm: The detritus looked to be no more than a day old, the fruits and green leaved vegetables only now beginning to rot in the afternoon heat.

"Houses often looked drab from the outside because the Romans were more interested in interior decorations."
:hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

Quote from: Habbaku on August 10, 2013, 11:55:26 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for 1848/Spring of Nations?  Both primers and in-depth studies are welcome.

:cry:  Languish has failed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 11:52:49 PM
"Houses often looked drab from the outside because the Romans were more interested in interior decorations."

You're going to knock up an ugly Italian.

"As our knowledge of Tatar activities is based largely on the Russian chronicles, the danger of distortion is especially great."

I will buy a mail-order bride from Astrakhan, but she will not be all I was promised.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 11:52:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2013, 12:12:00 AM
:hmm: The detritus looked to be no more than a day old, the fruits and green leaved vegetables only now beginning to rot in the afternoon heat.

"The glory days were about to return".

As if. :rolleyes:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Blackout of 3132 provided the Capellan Confederation with the best opportunity it had ever had for reclaiming worlds it saw as stolen by Devlin Stone and the Republic.

Ok.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Ragnar took land west of Eoferwic, up in the hills.

So I'm gonna shag a woman called Eoferwic.  :cool:

But how did they know the nickname for my todger is Ragnar? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Playing this at work, I got - "Occasionally, the moderator will choose to take on a specific role in the focus group interview."

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 12, 2013, 09:00:01 AM
Ragnar took land west of Eoferwic, up in the hills.

So I'm gonna shag a woman called Eoferwic.  :cool:

But how did they know the nickname for my todger is Ragnar? :unsure:

Actually says west of - so I'd look for someone in the proximity of a woman named Eoferwic.

Grey Fox

QuoteShe threw a conscientious look around her, her face flaming scarlet with embarrassment.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 12, 2013, 09:38:29 AM
QuoteShe threw a conscientious look around her, her face flaming scarlet with embarrassment.

:lol:

:D