News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Finished new Khaled Hosseini book, And The Mountains Echoed. Brilliant work.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Reading "By Fire and Sword - Cruelty and Atrocity in Medieval Warfare". In the chapter "The King as Judge and Executioner" it says:

QuoteEdward I - the Leopard, the Hammer of Scots - considered even mockery is a form of lèse-majesté. One medieval chronicle implies that the sack of Berwick was in response to the insults that he suffered from the town's ramparts: jibes, gestures and buttocks-baring.

Who knew that Quest for the Holy Grail had its basis in reality?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Didn't know that....but now that I think about it not surprising. Those Python guys were pretty well educated and smart and probably knew that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fhdz

Buttocks-baring? The horror!
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on June 01, 2013, 11:17:21 AM
Buttocks-baring? The horror!

Right? I'd consider it an invitation!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Despite all the good recommendations in the sci-fi/fantasy thread there's a few books I've got to go through first.

I've just finished Lords of Finance about the central bankers of the inter-war and the depression. It's very interesting for a layman and well written enough that you can follow the issues and personalities without needing to know too much about economic intricacies.

After years of people here mentioning it (especially Malthus) I'm finally reading I Am Red. Not too far in but so far I love it. It's one of those books I've mentioned to several people and wished I had more than one copy to give out.

I've also got All the King's Men and a book on Nazism to get to when it's done.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Goddamn cock tease.

Just like C4 with his giant thread about Real American Superbowl Food(tm).

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

Just finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Highly recommended light-hearted Swedish crime romp that time-travels through 100 years of personal and world history in flashback.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2013, 02:03:50 PM
What, Yi?

My bad.  I thought we were in your syfy and  phantacy thread.  :sleep:

The Brain

Quote from: Brazen on June 02, 2013, 02:07:21 PM
Just finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Highly recommended light-hearted Swedish crime romp that time-travels through 100 years of personal and world history in flashback.

Soon to be a minor movie!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Reading The Iron King by Maurice Druon. Historical fiction translated from the French, start of a series, about Philip the Fair. So far, very good.

Comes with a foreword by George RR Martin, who claims this series (and its setting) was, in part, his inspiration for the Song of Ice and Fire. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Taught myself to read French by reading those books plus le monde online.

To this day I don't know a lot of contemporary idioms but I know what a nourrice is.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson