News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 17, 2013, 02:09:06 PM
Reading Crucible of War by Fred Anderson.  Why can't people on the frontier be nice to each other?  All this scalping business seems so unnecessary.

On audiobook : Peter the Great by Robert Massie has me convinced that Charles was a madman who would have gotten along well with the likes of Teddy Roosevelt.

I get the impression that European monarchs of the time went through positive effort to be as crazy as possible.

My favorite was Fredrick the Great's daddy, with his army of giants - every time he felt sad, he'd have his beloved giants stomp through his bedroom. CC would have been a general!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

The Brain

Picked up German Assault Troops of World War I. :w00t:

Shut up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

:hmm: The detritus looked to be no more than a day old, the fruits and green leaved vegetables only now beginning to rot in the afternoon heat.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I'll play. :)

His heart was beating faster as they came within ten feet of each other.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

"Good hunting," said Kaa, grimly, and glided away to the west wall.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Page 45 actually is a picture page.  The text is "The clearings in the center of the photo are the location of Oros' cabin at Hutisolga."

The book was "Descent into madness: The Diary of a killer" about Yukon wilderness man Michael Oros, and his ultimate murder of RCMP member Michael Buday.

Not sure how that describes my sex life... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I picked the closest English language book.

"Now the right style for me here was to keep low like in frog-dancing to protect litso and glazzies, and this I did, brothers, so that poor old Dim was a malenky bit surprised, him being accustomed to the straight face-on lash lash lash."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Mind you the next book was "The glory days were about to return".  From Red Dwarf novelization "Better Than Life".  :cool:

Which decribed Holly's returned intellect - until he realized he had an estimatec run time remaining of 30 seconds. :ph34r:

Barrister

Keep going...

The next book is another Red Dwarf novellization (gee I wonder why they'd be next to each other):

"They thrashed on through the woods".

as the crew of Red Dwarf muddle on through a backwards world.

Barrister

And finally... from "Hitler's Empire: Now the Nazis Ruled Europe" the line is "Nazi lawyers were deeply suspicious of the whole idea of a universal international law premised upon the formal equality of sovereign states".

Which at this point makes me thing Timmy's post is utter BS.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2013, 01:29:00 AM
And finally... from "Hitler's Empire: Now the Nazis Ruled Europe" the line is "Nazi lawyers were deeply suspicious of the whole idea of a universal international law premised upon the formal equality of sovereign states".

Which at this point makes me thing Timmy's post is utter BS.

Took you 4 books longer than everyone else. :console:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

When William Jefferson Blythe III came into the world on 19 August 1946 in the little town of Hope, Arkansas, exactly three months had passed since the death of his father in a traffic accident.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Kleves

I should like to begin by setting to one side two questions which are not before this Court.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.