News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 08:30:41 AM
So the contention is that all of these critics, who make a living writing criticism - can't write as well as Dan Brown or the other two luminaries I listed?

If the critics knew how to do what Dan Brown can do then presumably, if we are to assume they are rational actors, they would do it given the difference in pay between what Dan Brown does and what they do.

garbon

Some people have principles. Also they may not have a knack for writing trashy novels.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
Some people have principles. Also they may not have a knack for writing trashy novels.

:lol:

Josephus

That's just it though. There are a million bad authors. Dan Brown is very good at what he does.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 16, 2013, 07:11:13 AM

That's just it though. There are a million bad authors. Dan Brown is very good at what he does.

Alright, he's the king of wine coolers. Doesn't mean the critics have to be happy about that. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

No, they don't have to like it. And they can criticize the shit out of it on its lack of merit. But when I see a review that says something like, whatever it was up a few threads, you know the critics are just taking the piss to be mean.
I remember a long time ago in the late 80s there was a review in Spin about a new Paul McCartney record, and the reviewer said "They shot the wrong Beatle." Or a review of a Yes album that just went "Just say No." The trouble with these is that you know the critics are going in with their punny comments before even listening or reading the subject of their review--if they even bother.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Well yes and they are enjoyable precisely because you know they are going to deliver one's own viewpoint going in. :)

garbon

Next you'll be demanding people making nice comments about Michael Moore films!

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 08:55:34 AM
Next you'll be demanding people making nice comments about Michael Moore films!

my reviews of his films are generally positive...even before I see them. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

The Minsky Moment

Dan Brown is very good at what he does.

But what exactly is it that he does so well?
The problem with the write crap and make millions strategy is figuring out what it is that Dan Brown does differently from the equally lousy writers who don't sell millions of books.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2013, 01:16:38 PM

The problem with the write crap and make millions strategy is figuring out what it is that Dan Brown does differently from the equally lousy writers who don't sell millions of books.

Yes exactly.  And if the vaunted literary critics could figure that out then presumably they would do it.

Josephus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2013, 01:16:38 PM

I don't know. I've never read the bloke. Critics turned me off him. :D

Actually, I did read that big one, what was it called, Da Vinci Code. I can't tell you what he does that the other writers whose books I haven't read do, but it's easy to see why it was a best seller.

Taut, tightly written. Elements of suspense. A mystery. Lots of puzzle solving, and riddles. Oh and a conspiracy which if you don't know any history, might even be true. Hey, maybe Jesus was married to Mary and had a child and the Catholic Church, those bastards, covered it up.

Very easy to read. A poor man's Focault's Pendulum.
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 16, 2013, 02:46:04 PM

I loved that book.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 16, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
Taut, tightly written. Elements of suspense. A mystery. Lots of puzzle solving, and riddles. Oh and a conspiracy which if you don't know any history, might even be true. Hey, maybe Jesus was married to Mary and had a child and the Catholic Church, those bastards, covered it up.

I thought it was if you took Tom Clancy, somehow downgraded that and then throughthrew in some psuedo-religious stuff. :x

*uck, writing about Da Vinci Code downgraded my writing abilities...-_-

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 02:50:56 PM
I thought it was if you took Tom Clancy, somehow downgraded that

Easily done.  Just get a ghostwriter* and then slap Clancy's name on top.  You could call it something like "Tom Clancy's Net Force."

*In this particular example, with the ghostwriter being Steve Perry, it may have improved the writing, but I'm not going to read it to find out.