News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I want to visit Amazon's Adolf Hitler page now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on May 01, 2013, 11:06:08 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2013, 11:59:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2013, 09:59:45 AM
fhdz and others mentioned Antifragile the other week;  is it a continuation and should Black Swan be read first, or is Antifragile a work on its own?

You definitely can read it on its own.

Seedy, you'll especially like the folks he chooses to froth at. :D

I can well imagine.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2013, 10:40:19 AM
I want Sav to write a sequel with Himmler and Churchhil played by lesbian lemurs.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 11, 2013, 07:31:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2013, 10:40:19 AM
I want Sav to write a sequel with Himmler and Churchhil played by lesbian lemurs.

I assume charliebear has nagged him to death
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Half-way through Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - so far I love it.

Also the Rivers of London, which is good fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I love Dan Brown review season:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/shortcuts/2013/may/14/dan-browns-inferno-critics
'As a stylist Brown gets better and better: where once he was abysmal he is now just very poor.'
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:39:24 PM
I love Dan Brown review season:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/shortcuts/2013/may/14/dan-browns-inferno-critics
'As a stylist Brown gets better and better: where once he was abysmal he is now just very poor.'

Yes!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

If you can't write books, review them.

I'm convinced most reviewers are just jealous of his success. The old 'i can do better" syndrome. Can they? Do it, then.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2013, 07:11:50 AM
If you can't write books, review them.

I'm convinced most reviewers are just jealous of his success. The old 'i can do better" syndrome. Can they? Do it, then.

Well yes, I think there could be some element of bitterness that such a poor writer has managed to sell really well.  Probably not that different from Stephanie Meyer or E. L. James. Probably a big reason these reviewers can't do better is that they wouldn't want to debase themselves for the period of time that it would take to right such a novel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Stephen King was the brunt of all sorts of jealous criticism as well in his prime, to the point that it started to affect his output (there was a time in the mid 90s, he tried to be more literary.

I think Dan Brown is a shill too, but hey, it works for him. He'd be stupid to attempt to write stuff for critics, who after all get their books for free.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2013, 07:54:08 AM
I think Dan Brown is a shill too, but hey, it works for him. He'd be stupid to attempt to write stuff for critics, who after all get their books for free.

Agreed but I don't see why critics shouldn't still put out how dreadful his works are. :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 07:58:04 AM

Agreed but I don't see why critics shouldn't still put out how dreadful his works are. :huh:

Those who can't write criticize those who can.  News at 11.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2013, 08:11:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 07:58:04 AM

Those who can't write criticize those who can.  News at 11.

So the contention is that all of these critics, who make a living writing criticism - can't write as well as Dan Brown or the other two luminaries I listed?

I would think these critics making sure to call out each work of Dan Brown's akin to you calling me out on my liberal use of the term champagne - so that no one gets confused at the end of the day about what is right and what is wrong. ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 07:32:48 AM
Reading Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies. So far, it's very, very good.

Started this book yesterday. His prologue did nothing for me. Filler dribble about his philosophy & academia :bleeding:

Chapter on the Visigoths is interesting tho, I had never heard of that Kingdom of Tolosa
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.