News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Nobody cares about the rest of the world.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

& WWZ movies barely going to be about the book.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

fhdz and others mentioned Antifragile the other week;  is it a continuation and should Black Swan be read first, or is Antifragile a work on its own?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2013, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2013, 02:48:43 AM
I've read mixed reviews on that.  One that it's interesting and gives a good idea what kind of man Stalin was, and others that say it focuses too much on gossip and not real history.  I've been on the fence on that one.
I don't like that dichotomy.

Court of the Red Tsar is an attempt at giving a biography of Stalin and the other leading Bolsheviks from, roughly, 1930 until the end of his life. It doesn't seem gossipy, I've only got the paperback version but there's a huge number of thanks for interviews with children of the Politburo and others, so it seems to be based on lots of original research.

But his goal isn't to tell you a great deal about the Ukrainian famine, or any of the other policies. Rather he's interested in how Stalin and those around him manage it. How they receive the information, or build the conspiracies, or denounce themselves or one another and then how they reach decisions that lead to the implementation of those policies.

With that you have the life of the magnates which moves from being pretty spartan but collegiate to being rather grim and terrifying. They'd get the call out to Stalin's dacha where he'd make them drink and play jokes on each other, or slow dance with one another, while he was actually drinking disguised water, weak tea or watered down wine.

I think it's no good if you want a history of the Stalinist period but is perhaps better if you want a sense of the mentality of the era. If you want to know about the Ukrainian famine or the purges then it'd be better getting a book about them, rather than this.

QuoteI've been thinking of reading that one day, I assume one should read Young Stalin if chronology is a concern.
Well I've just read Court of the Red Tsar which is 1930-53. Young Stalin's 1878-1917. But chronology's not a concern.

I got off the fence and picked up the Red Tsar.  Now I can't put it down.  Only gripe is that it starts in the early thirties when he's already first amongst equals and on his way to become totalitarian dictator.  I'm curious about his struggles with Trotsky after Lenin's death.  I suppose that's in his other book, Young Stalin.  Stalin is not at all what I expected.  I suppose a lot of Stalin's image in the West was propagated by Trotsky and his followers.  He's not the vulgar, grim bandit-turned-bureaucrat that he's often depicted as.  While bandit and bureaucrat are there, he's surprisingly cultured, very well read with an appreciation for poetry and literature.  He is also quite charming which surprised me.  He's reminds of one of those ruthless centralizing late medieval monarchs or a mafioso head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2013, 09:43:44 AM
& WWZ movies barely going to be about the book.

Yeah, what I figured.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Reading Samurai: The Japanese Warrior's [Unofficial] Manual. Not bad, and slightly tongue in cheek (masquerading as a manual written in 1615), but not quite as good as its Legionnaire counterpart which remains my favorite of the series.

I haven't read the Gladiator entry in the series yet (written by the same guy as the Legionnaire manual and the pretty good "Ancient Rome on 5 Denarii a Day").
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Who has the better book about the Russian Revolution - Richard Pipes or Orlando Figes?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2013, 09:59:45 AM
fhdz and others mentioned Antifragile the other week;  is it a continuation and should Black Swan be read first, or is Antifragile a work on its own?

You definitely can read it on its own.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Reading Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies. So far, it's very, very good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I had wanted to read it but I wasn't sure how much I'd like him compiling chapters on a bunch of different states all drawn together only because they no longer exist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 07:36:32 AM
I had wanted to read it but I wasn't sure how much I'd like him compiling chapters on a bunch of different states all drawn together only because they no longer exist.

The theme is on the nature of historical memory; the examples are entertaining in and of themselves, but they are not of course in any way comprehensive.

I found the chapter on "Galicia" particularly interesting, as it is the country from which both my mother's ancestors and my wife's came from - yet I'd barely heard of it; it's vanished underneath Poland and Ukraine, but fairly recently (it died at the end of WW1 and its population was massacred and the remaints scattered to the winds in WW2).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Oh thanks for that. Definitely my cup of tea then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 07:32:48 AM
Reading Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies. So far, it's very, very good.

I was thinking of picking that up.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Grey Fox

Once again, Malthus pulls out a solid.

35$ for an Ebook, I don't think soooooo, no.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Same author put out another book, The History of Europe, several years ago that I liked. This looks good, too, but alas, I'm on a budget now.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011