News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I need to hack into my 100+ backlog. Damn remainder sales.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on March 11, 2013, 02:29:49 PM
Currently reading Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland by Jeff Janoda.

Amazing resemblence to a gangster novel, which strikes me as likely historically accurate ... these Norsemen are as cunning as they are greedy and brutal, plotting with relentless precision to take each other's lands (and even their freedom), leading to murder and revenge, in the absense of any sort of law other than custom upheld by the fear of starting the cycle of murder and revenge going ...

In short, a perfect libertarian society.  :D

That sounds interesting, I am going to pick that up.

Good Find Malthus.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2013, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 11, 2013, 02:29:49 PM
Currently reading Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland by Jeff Janoda.

Amazing resemblence to a gangster novel, which strikes me as likely historically accurate ... these Norsemen are as cunning as they are greedy and brutal, plotting with relentless precision to take each other's lands (and even their freedom), leading to murder and revenge, in the absense of any sort of law other than custom upheld by the fear of starting the cycle of murder and revenge going ...

In short, a perfect libertarian society.  :D

That sounds interesting, I am going to pick that up.

Good Find Malthus.

Thanks!

It is good, if unrelentingly bleak.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Anyone read the books; The Battle of Woerth and/or The Battle of Spicheren by GFR Henderson? Comments on them?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Currently reading Darwinia.  Mediocre.  It does have a dreadnoughts in it which presumably fight (one is described half sunk in the Thames), but that's all it has going for it.  Has sort of a Shadow out of time thing going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Starting into GFR Henderson's BATTLE OF SPICHEREN. rather enjoying it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I fight a battle with my Sphincter every day. The turds win.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

So far the book is enjoyable. Hendo spent the first 100 pages on the actions of both the French and Prussian armies maneuvering preceding the battle. I like his writing style. He paints a picture of a train wreck you just have to see. France's inability to coordinate forces and utter lack of the proper use of cavalry is stunning. On the Prussian side, the near aggressive recklessness should have spelled a defeat in this battle, if the French were half way competent. I'm at the point of the opening of the battle. One unsupported Prussian division (the 14th) is fixing to attack the Spicheren Heights at the Rotherberg. Whom they think is occupied by a just a rear guard of Frossard's II Corps. The Prussians think they (Frnech II Corps) is withdrawing based on incomplete intel. The Prussains have been aggressive with the employment of their cavalry, however the whole picture has not reached the Prussian division commander. Based on what intell he has, he is moving the division forward to take the Rotherberg.  Oh the silly Prussians are in for a surprise. Frossard's II Corps is all concentrated within 2-3 miles south and west of the heights as a whole. It's 3rd division is 1500 meters south of the heights in the town of Spicheren=Uh oh.

It's breech loading rifle vs breech loading rifle. Muzzle loaded cannon vs breech loaded Krupp cannon. It's French indecisiveness vs. reckless Prussian antics.     

11B4V

Merry ole England comes through again. Had to order Barry's second volume; FRANCO-PRUSSIAN WAR 1870-1871 VOLUME 2: AFTER SEDAN, THE, from a shop there. The last book I ordered from the UK was Day of Battle by Ascoli back in 2011 and the transaction went well. So, keeping my fingers crossed. Also ordered "Cavalry in the Franco-Prussian War" in a separate order.

fhdz

As soon as it arrives in the mail, I'm going to start Nassim Nicholas Taleb's "Antifragile". Really looking forward to it. I loved "Fooled By Randomness" and "Black Swan".
and the horse you rode in on

Gups

Quote from: 11B4V on March 21, 2013, 11:03:30 AM
Merry ole England comes through again. Had to order Barry's second volume; FRANCO-PRUSSIAN WAR 1870-1871 VOLUME 2: AFTER SEDAN, THE, from a shop there. The last book I ordered from the UK was Day of Battle by Ascoli back in 2011 and the transaction went well. So, keeping my fingers crossed. Also ordered "Cavalry in the Franco-Prussian War" in a separate order.

There's nothing we like more than reading about the Krauts and the Frogs beating up on each other.

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on March 21, 2013, 11:03:30 AM

I shipped thousands of items across the Atlantic, back in the day and contrary to popular myths, the Royal Mail and USPS perform faultlessly.  :bowler:

People in the book trade seem to be just about the most trustworth 'trade' I've encountered, so have confidence.   (famous last words, on my part.  :P )
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Battle of Spicheren by Henderson published in 1891

Very good, detailed book on the battle. All aspects are detailed and analyzed very well. The last paragraph of the book sums this battle and the war for that matter, quite well.

Quote.... At no single point did the Prussians show themselves superior in courage or hardihood to their opponents. But they did not, like their opponents rely on natural attributes or martial spirit alone. Officers and men had received the highest training that was possible in peace. It was the training that turned the scale.

On to the Battle of Wörth by Henderson published in 1899.

Admiral Yi

Now I don't know how the numbers stacked up in that particular battle, but one thing you have to keep in mind when reading all that blah blah training stuff is that the Prussians outnumbered the French 2-1 overall.

fhdz

Quote from: fahdiz on March 21, 2013, 11:47:53 AM
As soon as it arrives in the mail, I'm going to start Nassim Nicholas Taleb's "Antifragile". Really looking forward to it. I loved "Fooled By Randomness" and "Black Swan".

So far, it's brilliant.
and the horse you rode in on