News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2013, 08:36:51 AM
For some reason Australia's history has produced an disproportionate number of very good novels - English Passengers, Secret River, Oscar & Lucinda amongst others.

Recent reads:

Hyperion by Dan Simmonds, well-written intellligent space opera. 9/10
Little Women - easy read, not really my cup of tea but worth reading because of its cultural impact I guess 7/10

Currently reading Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. Quite a contrast with Little Women. In amongst the trailer trash of mid 20th century Ohio. Brilliant prose, beautifully paced, disturbing in places. Looking like a very rare 10/10.

Pollock is great. Reminds me very much of an even harder-edged Joe Lansdale. 

You'd probably like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fine_Dark_Line
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Picked up "Invisible Armies" by Max Boot.  You've probably all heard of it; it's a history of guerrilla warfare.  Also picked up "The Birth of the West" by Paul Collins, a history of the Dark Ages centered on France, Spain, and Rome.  While I was browsing I realized I knew next to nothing about the Dark Ages.

The Brain

Finished a book on Marlborough as military commander. Characters like Bishop Mew and Captain Blackadder made it hard to take it seriously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2013, 08:36:51 AM
For some reason Australia's history has produced an disproportionate number of very good novels - English Passengers, Secret River, Oscar & Lucinda amongst others.

Recent reads:

Hyperion by Dan Simmonds, well-written intellligent space opera. 9/10
Little Women - easy read, not really my cup of tea but worth reading because of its cultural impact I guess 7/10

Currently reading Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. Quite a contrast with Little Women. In amongst the trailer trash of mid 20th century Ohio. Brilliant prose, beautifully paced, disturbing in places. Looking like a very rare 10/10.

Pollock is great. Reminds me very much of an even harder-edged Joe Lansdale. 

You'd probably like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fine_Dark_Line
Jim Thompson.  Donald Westlake.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Realised I knew nothing about the HYW after watching some of the BBC4 documentaries on it. So I bought the first volume of Jonathan Sumption's 5 volume history. Just got half way through (Sluys) and the pace is picking up admirably now that we're in the war itself, it's very detailed and you need some broad knowledge of the period before reading it. It is very engaging though.

I also love that Sumption wrote it (and the next two) while a QC and is writing volume 4 while sitting in the Supreme Court. It's an extraordinary model of passion and dedication which I like a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Tuchman's A Distant Mirror will give you a Coucy centered slice of the HYW.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2013, 05:44:44 PM
Realised I knew nothing about the HYW after watching some of the BBC4 documentaries on it. So I bought the first volume of Jonathan Sumption's 5 volume history. Just got half way through (Sluys) and the pace is picking up admirably now that we're in the war itself, it's very detailed and you need some broad knowledge of the period before reading it. It is very engaging though.

I also love that Sumption wrote it (and the next two) while a QC and is writing volume 4 while sitting in the Supreme Court. It's an extraordinary model of passion and dedication which I like a lot.

It's you in a quarter century, isn't it ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

I recently finished the five books in Ian Hamilton's Ava Lee series (#6 is out next year).

Hot lesbian Chinese-Canadian OL-style forensic accountant from a rich family and trained in a secret and lethal ancient Chinese martial art collects debts across the world from shady people with the help of other shady people.

I obviously liked the books since I read all five. At first I got the feeling that the title character is the author's fantasy girl and that does seem a little off, but the characters are good (including Ava herself once you get by the check-box list), the plotting is tight, and the locations are worthwhile too. The bits he gets into re: triads and various locations (including restaurants) seem authentic enough to me as well.

I might do a more full review on my blog if I can be bothered.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 02, 2013, 05:51:04 PM
It's you in a quarter century, isn't it ?
Lord no, I've no dedication or passion whatsoever. And I'm nowhere near brainy enough :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: The Brain on March 02, 2013, 04:50:31 PM
Finished a book on Marlborough as military commander. Characters like Bishop Mew and Captain Blackadder made it hard to take it seriously.

Was that the one by Charles Spencer? (Yes, that Charles Spencer of best-place-to-divorce-shopping and sister fame...)

Anyway, you'd best avoid Peter Hart's books on the Somme and Passchendaele then; one of the "Tommies" whose writings are quoted are those of a Lieutenant Robert Blackadder of the Royal Garrison Artillery. :P

Good books though; I'd recommend them along with his "1918: A very British Victory"* if I wasn't certain that they already had been.

*Despite the unfortunately jingoistic title.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2013, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2013, 09:50:35 AM
For some reason I have no interest whatsoever in Australian history, but I've read up on the history of New Zealand a bit. :hmm:
New Zealand should be part of Australia, it's more pointless than most small countries.

Why not have them join the UK while you're at it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2013, 05:44:44 PM

I've read the first one. It was OK but a little too obsessed with financial matters. Sumption used to take six months off every year to write it.

Incidentally I heard from another barrister that Sumption's brief fee for Abromovitch was close to £10m and his refreshers were £100K a day. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 04, 2013, 09:18:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2013, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2013, 09:50:35 AM
For some reason I have no interest whatsoever in Australian history, but I've read up on the history of New Zealand a bit. :hmm:
New Zealand should be part of Australia, it's more pointless than most small countries.

Why not have them join the UK while you're at it.
I would if I could!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Currently reading Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland by Jeff Janoda.

Amazing resemblence to a gangster novel, which strikes me as likely historically accurate ... these Norsemen are as cunning as they are greedy and brutal, plotting with relentless precision to take each other's lands (and even their freedom), leading to murder and revenge, in the absense of any sort of law other than custom upheld by the fear of starting the cycle of murder and revenge going ...

In short, a perfect libertarian society.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Finished off George MacDonald Fraser's The Steel Bonnets.  Now off to Crusader Warfare, Volume I by David Nicolle.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien