News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2013, 09:50:35 AM
For some reason I have no interest whatsoever in Australian history, but I've read up on the history of New Zealand a bit. :hmm:

:hmm: indeed.

I can't say I'm fascinated by it but Masterchef Australia has sparked my interest into the country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

For some reason I have no interest whatsoever in Australian history, but I've read up on the history of New Zealand a bit. :hmm:

I dunno - I read the bio of Lady Franklin last year (widow of Sir John Franklin, the famously lost arctic explorer).  I had no idea John Franklin was the one-time governor of Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) which was a major penal colony, and that period was extensively covered in the book.  So anyways, like you Australian history was something I knew almost nothing about, but that brief exposure showed me it was pretty interesting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Read "Kelly's Country" by A. Bertram Chandler instead.

Ned Kelly becomes, through a fluke, an independence fighter and leads the revolutionary war against Britain. Australia becomes an Australian-Irish republic with hereditary presidents/dictators and a major (nuclear, IIRC) power in the Pacific, allied to the U.S.. Eventually, the corrupt dictatorship crumbles, though, and they get occupied by allied nations who aim to install a proper democracy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

New Zealand should be part of Australia, it's more pointless than most small countries.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 09:40:07 AM
That Improbable bit seems like an odd subhead.

Not sure why.  The formation of Australia was never a forgone conclusion.  The more likely outcome was each State being independant.  The story of the difference in governance of each State and how they eventually formed one nation is a good story.

Granted it lacks the kind of bloodshed that runs through your history.  But that simply means no ACW (Aussie Civil War) highjacks. :P

Admiral Yi

New Zealand serves the purpose of maintaining a small pocket of racially pure Englishman boys and girls.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2013, 01:51:02 PM

Not sure why.  The formation of Australia was never a forgone conclusion.  The more likely outcome was each State being independant.  The story of the difference in governance of each State and how they eventually formed one nation is a good story.

Granted it lacks the kind of bloodshed that runs through your history.  But that simply means no ACW (Aussie Civil War) highjacks. :P

Oh gotcha with the bit I bolded. The improbable seemed odd to me as I was like well some sort of nation would have eventually become independent there. Hadn't been thinking about multiples or not. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Well hey there was the Rum Rebellion - Bligh's *other* mutiny.  :D

I mean, that guy has all the luck - most famous single naval mutiny in history under his command - then, he becomes the only guy in history to have an entire continent mutiny against him.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2013, 10:51:18 AM
New Zealand should be part of Australia, it's more pointless than most small countries.

What a thoroughly stupid thing to say.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2013, 08:55:30 PM

Well hey there was the Rum Rebellion - Bligh's *other* mutiny.  :D

I mean, that guy has all the luck - most famous single naval mutiny in history under his command - then, he becomes the only guy in history to have an entire continent mutiny against him.  :lol:
Bligh was hands down the biggest douche in a nation and profession filled with big douches.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2013, 09:50:05 PM

What a thoroughly stupid thing to say.

LOOK AT THE SOURCE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

<_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

For some reason Australia's history has produced an disproportionate number of very good novels - English Passengers, Secret River, Oscar & Lucinda amongst others.

Recent reads:

Hyperion by Dan Simmonds, well-written intellligent space opera. 9/10
Little Women - easy read, not really my cup of tea but worth reading because of its cultural impact I guess 7/10

Currently reading Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. Quite a contrast with Little Women. In amongst the trailer trash of mid 20th century Ohio. Brilliant prose, beautifully paced, disturbing in places. Looking like a very rare 10/10.

Sheilbh

Just started Hyperion. Never really read much sci fi so it should be interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2013, 01:51:49 PM
New Zealand serves the purpose of maintaining a small pocket of racially pure Englishman boys and girls.
What the hell kind of bullshit is this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point