News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I buy all my books on Amazon, so...no, I haven't noticed that they've gone close to $20 in price.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

well they have...look at the pre-discount price on amazon.

DAnce of dragons, for instance, on amazon.ca (which comes out in spring) is listed at a pre-discount price of $21 cdn.

The earlier paperbacks in the series were $10.99

http://www.amazon.ca/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/055338595X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358477094&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.ca/Storm-Swords-Song-Fire-Three/dp/055357342X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358477253&sr=1-5
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Why would anyone pay a pre-discount price on Amazon?  I suppose if you bought your books in stores, that it would indeed suck to have them cost more, but that's pretty much always been true when compared to Amazon's prices.

In comparison, by the way, ADwD is US$12.24.

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/055338595X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358479862&sr=8-1

The Kindle version is $14.99.

Then there's the "Mass-Market Paperback" version at $9.99 :

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/0553582011/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358479862&sr=8-1
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I buy my paperbacks at the bookstore, because I can't skeeve on the teenyboppers in the "Teen Paranormal Romance" section on Amazon.  Fuck the price.  It's an eye candy surcharge.

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah.  I rarely buy books anymore in hardcopy because of that.  I either get them through the library or just get the kindle edition when they're on sale. 
PDH!

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
Anyways, with regards to A Memory of Light, I really loved the second half of the book. However the first half could have been better, there's just so much going on that isn't completely fleshed out. The 1st 24 chapters should really have been expanded into their own 8-900 page book. The second half would only need a prologue and a little fleshing out here and there to make it's own complete 500 page novel.

Well, I knew that the book could not possibly live up to my expectations given the many years it had had to build up, but overall it wasn't bad. About 3 stars out of 5 if I was doing it as a movie rating for a British TV magazine.

However, it definitely needed a better equivalent of television's script editor; for example, there's one major scene between Egwene and Tuon that makes no sense whatsoever in the context of what has gone before [spoiler]since Tremalking was clearly not in Seanchan hands prior to Rand's cleansing of the source and the suicide of the Amayar, and they were hardly in a position to conquer it afterwards; the scene should surely be referring to the Aile Somera.[/spoiler] There's other examples as well [spoiler]such as the opening scene of chapter 1 which says Taren Ferry has been destroyed, implying that the Two Rivers has been attacked as we know that as of LoC Taren Ferry had been resettled - and yet later on shipments of arrows are still coming out of the Two Rivers. Taren Ferry, as of the EotW, being on the south bank of the river, not the north.[/spoiler]:hmm:

And as for the last couple of scenes...well, the less said the better (not the ending, which isn't bad, just the last couple of scenes.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2013, 10:40:14 PM
I buy my paperbacks at the bookstore, because I can't skeeve on the teenyboppers in the "Teen Paranormal Romance" section on Amazon.  Fuck the price.  It's an eye candy surcharge.

:)

Also, I hang out outside of Hot Topic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Gups

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
My most recent read was River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh - the second in the trilogy after Sea of Poppies.

The action primarily takes place in Shanghai. It's interesting to see bits on the opium trade and wars from a different perspective than usual, but overall I thought the book a little more disjointed than what I had come to expect.

I quite liked Sea of Poppies but he's not very good at plotting, tries to pack too much in.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Gups on January 18, 2013, 08:23:02 AM
Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
My most recent read was River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh - the second in the trilogy after Sea of Poppies.

The action primarily takes place in Shanghai. It's interesting to see bits on the opium trade and wars from a different perspective than usual, but overall I thought the book a little more disjointed than what I had come to expect.

I quite liked Sea of Poppies but he's not very good at plotting, tries to pack too much in.
I first read this as Sea of Ponies, and thought you were into some weird Brony shit.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on January 18, 2013, 07:21:03 AM

Well, I knew that the book could not possibly live up to my expectations given the many years it had had to build up, but overall it wasn't bad. About 3 stars out of 5 if I was doing it as a movie rating for a British TV magazine.

However, it definitely needed a better equivalent of television's script editor; for example, there's one major scene between Egwene and Tuon that makes no sense whatsoever in the context of what has gone before [spoiler]since Tremalking was clearly not in Seanchan hands prior to Rand's cleansing of the source and the suicide of the Amayar, and they were hardly in a position to conquer it afterwards; the scene should surely be referring to the Aile Somera.[/spoiler] There's other examples as well [spoiler]such as the opening scene of chapter 1 which says Taren Ferry has been destroyed, implying that the Two Rivers has been attacked as we know that as of LoC Taren Ferry had been resettled - and yet later on shipments of arrows are still coming out of the Two Rivers. Taren Ferry, as of the EotW, being on the south bank of the river, not the north.[/spoiler]:hmm:

And as for the last couple of scenes...well, the less said the better (not the ending, which isn't bad, just the last couple of scenes.)

#1 - Yes it was. Most of the other isles were free, but Tremalking was definitely occupied.

#2 - I didn't notice the arrow thing. What page?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Mindy Kaling had a bit about this on her show. Like any real person she buys her books online, but goes to the store and pretends to be looking for books to check people out. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2013, 08:44:51 AM
#1 - Yes it was. Most of the other isles were free, but Tremalking was definitely occupied.

It wasn't as of the Amayar leaving to take the message to the other Isles. Nor was it occupied as of Logain's meeting with the wavemistresses prior to shipping food to Arad Doman (since they specifically mentioned only the difficulty the Amayar had in getting to the Aile Somera, not in getting off Tremalking.)

So when did the Seanchan conquer Tremalking? All that's left is doing it during the period when they were canonically consolidating following the arrival of the news of the civil war in Seanchan.

Give me chapter and verse prior to the final volume where it says Tremalking was conquered, please?

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2013, 08:44:51 AM#2 - I didn't notice the arrow thing. What page?

It's taking me longer to find than I thought; I thought I recalled it in one of Tam's scenes, but the last 30 odd minutes searching haven't turned it up. I'll get back to it when I can.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2013, 08:49:15 AM

Mindy Kaling had a bit about this on her show. Like any real person she buys her books online, but goes to the store and pretends to be looking for books to check people out. :D

That's how Ed met his future wife, after all.  Cruising the "Young Adult" section.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on January 18, 2013, 09:21:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2013, 08:44:51 AM

It wasn't as of the Amayar leaving to take the message to the other Isles. Nor was it occupied as of Logain's meeting with the wavemistresses prior to shipping food to Arad Doman (since they specifically mentioned only the difficulty the Amayar had in getting to the Aile Somera, not in getting off Tremalking.)

So when did the Seanchan conquer Tremalking? All that's left is doing it during the period when they were canonically consolidating following the arrival of the news of the civil war in Seanchan.

Give me chapter and verse prior to the final volume where it says Tremalking was conquered, please?

Hmm...I might have been thinking of Cantorin.  Sanderson likely was as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point