News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Should I read an Harry Turtledove book? If so, which one?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

If you do, you will be beaten the Languish Intelligensia.

You have been warned.  You only get one.

Darth Wagtaros

Some of the Videssos books aren't bad. MIsplaced Legion series.  Avoid anything written after 1995. Or if that is impossible burn them.

I was bored one day in Barnes and Nobles and started reading his super volcano book. What a bore. 
PDH!

Kleves

What's the best book on D-Day + the campaign in Normandy? Same question for the Battle of the Bulge.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2013, 09:20:08 PM
Some of the Videssos books aren't bad. MIsplaced Legion series.  Avoid anything written after 1995. Or if that is impossible burn them.

I was bored one day in Barnes and Nobles and started reading his super volcano book. What a bore.

I kinda liked the Byzantine James Bond one, where in each story he is confronted with some sort of super science.  Well super science for the middle ages.  He discovers plots involving moveable type, gunpowder, vaccines and distilled spirits.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on January 16, 2013, 10:22:28 PM
What's the best book on D-Day + the campaign in Normandy? Same question for the Battle of the Bulge.

Recently, Beevor's latest work on D-Day is superb.
Max Hastings' "Overlord" is dated, but good, although some people think Hastings can be overly critical and "pro-German", but I don't see it and I think he's appropriately critical of the Allies where they deserve it, particularly that cockmunch Monty.

BoB I've not read much on, but I did enjoy Charles MacDonald's "A Time For Trumpets".  Very comprehensive and accessible, and an excellent read.

sbr

I've read breevor's d-day and time for trumpets and agree with cdm, both are very good.

mongers

Quote from: sbr on January 16, 2013, 10:43:46 PM
I've read breevor's d-day and time for trumpets and agree with cdm, both are very good.

Yes, I read it a couple of months ago on an e-reader, so it must have been pretty good to encourage to finish it. 

I thought is coverage of 'war crimes' and arbitrary violence particularly interesting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2013, 09:20:08 PM

The Misplaced Legion series and the Krispos books are good reads; his adaptation of our world's history to a fantasy world is much better done than with any of his later works. Plus, of course, they're back when he was interested in the process of getting to the climax and not just the climax itself (in other words, the "story" was more important than the "message"/"goal".)

I second the recommendation for Agent of Byzantium as well.

If you must read any of his later books, avoid the long series and try "Ruled Britannia"; his collaboration with Richard Dreyfuss, "The Two Georges" isn't bad either, although that may just be my unreformed Imperialist tendencies biasing me there.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Malthus

Just read The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (in English translation, natch). It's one of the best historical fiction works I've read - I particularly enjoyed the author's dry, understated humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on January 17, 2013, 02:52:59 PM
Just read The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (in English translation, natch). It's one of the best historical fiction works I've read - I particularly enjoyed the author's dry, understated humour.

It's an awesome book. Bengtsson's writing style was always great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Read Master and Commander  -  apart from not being entirely sure I understood what part of the ship he was talking about most of the time, I enjoyed the book and I am on to the second in the series.

I suspect one needs a kind of Grumbleresque first hand knowledge of tall ships to really enjoy this one.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 17, 2013, 02:52:59 PM

It's an awesome book. Bengtsson's writing style was always great.

Btw, his Life of Charles XII could possibly be of interest. It's non-fiction and obviously somewhat dated, but his writing is excellent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.