News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

They deserve it.

It should ship today, the warehouse is almost 600km away tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar. Fascinating book.

May go for Young Stalin, by the same author, or Taubman's Khruschev next.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

I've been thinking of reading that one day, I assume one should read Young Stalin if chronology is a concern.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2013, 12:26:14 AM

I've read mixed reviews on that.  One that it's interesting and gives a good idea what kind of man Stalin was, and others that say it focuses too much on gossip and not real history.  I've been on the fence on that one.   
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

live free or die free baen book.

Libertarian saves America despite itself from commie aliens. Darkies die in droves. Thanks John Ringo.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2013, 02:48:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2013, 12:26:14 AM

I've read mixed reviews on that.  One that it's interesting and gives a good idea what kind of man Stalin was, and others that say it focuses too much on gossip and not real history.  I've been on the fence on that one.   
That in the same vein of Young Robin Hood or Young INdiana Jones?
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2013, 02:48:43 AM
I don't like that dichotomy.

Court of the Red Tsar is an attempt at giving a biography of Stalin and the other leading Bolsheviks from, roughly, 1930 until the end of his life. It doesn't seem gossipy, I've only got the paperback version but there's a huge number of thanks for interviews with children of the Politburo and others, so it seems to be based on lots of original research.

But his goal isn't to tell you a great deal about the Ukrainian famine, or any of the other policies. Rather he's interested in how Stalin and those around him manage it. How they receive the information, or build the conspiracies, or denounce themselves or one another and then how they reach decisions that lead to the implementation of those policies.

With that you have the life of the magnates which moves from being pretty spartan but collegiate to being rather grim and terrifying. They'd get the call out to Stalin's dacha where he'd make them drink and play jokes on each other, or slow dance with one another, while he was actually drinking disguised water, weak tea or watered down wine.

I think it's no good if you want a history of the Stalinist period but is perhaps better if you want a sense of the mentality of the era. If you want to know about the Ukrainian famine or the purges then it'd be better getting a book about them, rather than this.

QuoteI've been thinking of reading that one day, I assume one should read Young Stalin if chronology is a concern.
Well I've just read Court of the Red Tsar which is 1930-53. Young Stalin's 1878-1917. But chronology's not a concern.
Let's bomb Russia!

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2013, 03:04:59 PM
Well I've just read Court of the Red Tsar which is 1930-53. Young Stalin's 1878-1917. But chronology's not a concern.

I read Court first, then Young Stalin.  I found them both interesting.

jimmy olsen

What do you do if you interested in Stalin 1918-1929?

Anyways, I found A Memory of Light at the San Fran Airport! So happy!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2013, 05:06:13 PM
Read a biography, there's hundreds out there :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2013, 05:06:13 PM

Anyways, I found A Memory of Light at the San Fran Airport! So happy!

Congrats.

It was delivered today, Hardcovers are big, that's going to be hard to sneak into the bathroom.

Darth Wagtaros

Wish the Kindle edition was out. I'd have preferred it to a hard copy.
PDH!

mongers

I 'read' two books yesterday, well more like picture books ( :Embarrass:), by photographer Don McCullin and Robert Doisneau, still rather interesting and inspirational.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 09, 2013, 09:01:52 PM
Wish the Kindle edition was out. I'd have preferred it to a hard copy.

I would have preferred the mass market paperback but I agree anything over this giant hard cover things.

Gups

I liked the Court of the Red Tsar. It was an interesting study of pure power in private setting and the way people react to that power.

However, it is fair to question the quality of the "history" behind it. Most of teh sources are third hand (children of former leaders) and its anecdotal. But there's no other way to do such a study and you have to take it for what it is.