And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Anyone read the Xiaoping book?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Fireblade

I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. Yeah it's pretty obscure, but holy shit guys it's fucking awesome!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2013, 11:59:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 04, 2013, 09:52:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2013, 09:39:48 AM
7 weeks, 200 pages a day, I've finished my reread of the Wheel of Time just in time for the last book! :w00t:

:w00t:

You beat me, I finish book 13 a month ago. Took 2 years to read them all.

I haven't read any of those in ten years. :w00t:
I ain't re-reading shit. I just want it to be over with.

Points tim, from my Amazon credit card.

PDH!

jimmy olsen

What did you think of the previous two Sanderson WOT books?

Have you read his other stuff? The Mistborn trilogy and The Way of Kings are particularly good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quote from: Fireblade on January 06, 2013, 12:15:34 AM
I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. Yeah it's pretty obscure, but holy shit guys it's fucking awesome!

They should make a series about it some day.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I tried reading Wheel of Time, but quit the first book after less than a hundred pages. The cliché start (young half orphan with mysterious origins raised in a small village etc.) just was a massive turn off for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Mistborn was pretty good.  Way of Kings too, though I started and stopped several times.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Have you read the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series? I've heard lots of good things, but I tried the first book when it came out like ten years ago and couldn't get into it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Hah!

Gods bless Amazon and the Royal Mail...I have in my hands "A Memory of Light". Finally, after just over 20 long years... the climax! :D

[Yep, I bought the first volume when it was published in the UK in 1992.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
Have you read the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series? I've heard lots of good things, but I tried the first book when it came out like ten years ago and couldn't get into it.
Grallon recommended it to me a long time ago, and I think I pikced it up, but never really got into it. 
PDH!

Agelastus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 08, 2013, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
Grallon recommended it to me a long time ago, and I think I pikced it up, but never really got into it.

The books are very variable; book one is fairly average, book two is good, book three is excellent, book four is average, book 5 is unreadable (OK, poor.), book 6 is very good, book 7 is good, book 8 is average, book 9 is excellent, book 10 is excellent.

I'd recommend them to people though- they're good enough as a story that I bought the last 3 in hardback (or whatever North Americans call it.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Gups

I read the first one. I thought it was shit. Hope that helps.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on January 08, 2013, 06:36:31 AM
Hah!

Gods bless Amazon and the Royal Mail...I have in my hands "A Memory of Light". Finally, after just over 20 long years... the climax! :D

Lucky SOB, Amazon doesn't do preshipping here. I'll get my copy thursday at earliest, probably Monday.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2013, 09:17:07 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on January 08, 2013, 06:36:31 AM
Hah!

Lucky SOB, Amazon doesn't do preshipping here. I'll get my copy thursday at earliest, probably Monday.

According to Amazon they handed it off to the Royal Mail at 20:19 last night - it arrived this morning around 11am. And I hadn't paid for premium delivery (always supersaver delivery for penny-pinching me!)

Hence why I was calling on the Gods to bless them. :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be