And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 03, 2012, 12:47:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 10:21:56 PM
its the first book I've read about WW1.

Whaaaa...???!?

I've had no interest - I don't care a whit for military matters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Keegan must have been grumbler-old anyway. It is a loss though.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2012, 03:11:22 AM
Ya, know what interest me about WW1 is the Naval and Air shit. I find the land conflict...well boring. I find those parts of WW1 I like odd. Backwards to conflicts that followed.

I found a fascinating older book on US battleship operations in WWI once;  what was surprising about it was how it made so little sound like so much.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 03:22:01 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 01, 2012, 08:41:11 PM
Looking for opinions on any of the following.

Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East
by Michael B. Oren

Enjoyed this.

QuoteThe Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East
by Abraham Rabinovich

Did not enjoy this.  I don't need to know the name of every tank commander in the whole fucking IDF.

The author also had a tendency to overdramatize Israeli losses.  "The 6th battalion lost 29 of 32 tanks in their ill-planned attack.  The next morning the 6th battalion attacked again with 28 tanks."

That doesnt bother me. Read Glantz and you become immune to that style. BTW by all accounts I've read, the IDF was pretty good at tank recovery, cross attaching units, and filling units in willy-nilly. Those numbers dont surprise me. IDF was slapped hard in the opening days. IMO the ATGM was at home in the Sinai. The Eyptian crossing was brillant, but they shit the bed in the follow-on phases of the operation.

I'm re-reading Adan's book. Forgot what a good snap shot of how much a clusterfuck the IDF was in the first few days. His book is also scattered with bits on IDF tank recovery. Key point being the Egyptians werent aggressively exploiting and expanding their bridgeheads. That allowed the IDF to due that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I understand the importance of tank recovery (one of Germany's great advantages in WWII if I'm not mistaken) but then don't overstate the losses.  Don't write ZOMG all the tanks were wiped out when the truth is most lost a track or something similar.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 04:23:53 PM
I understand the importance of tank recovery (one of Germany's great advantages in WWII if I'm not mistaken) but then don't overstate the losses.  Don't write ZOMG all the tanks were wiped out when the truth is most lost a track or something similar.

Ahh got your meaning.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2012, 02:50:55 PM

I'm re-reading Adan's book. Forgot what a good snap shot of how much a clusterfuck the IDF was in the first few days. His book is also scattered with bits on IDF tank recovery. Key point being the Egyptians werent aggressively exploiting and expanding their bridgeheads. That allowed the IDF to due that.

My understanding is that the Egyptians were reluctant to move lest that screw up the ability of their anti-aircraft missile defense to cover them. This allowed the initative to pass decisively to the IDF.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on August 03, 2012, 04:40:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2012, 02:50:55 PM

My understanding is that the Egyptians were reluctant to move lest that screw up the ability of their anti-aircraft missile defense to cover them. This allowed the initative to pass decisively to the IDF.

Quite right. Doesnt mean it was the correct action. Hence "shit the bed".

Admiral Yi

Definitely the right decision.  The one time they moved out of the SAM umbrella they got bombed all to shit.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 05:42:40 PM
Definitely the right decision.  The one time they moved out of the SAM umbrella they got bombed all to shit.

Disagree

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 04:23:53 PM

Were the Germans really that good at tank recovery, I was pretty sure they weren't compared to the Americans.