Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on December 13, 2021, 06:07:29 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2021, 09:33:08 PM
Got a few books recently:

Viking-Age War Fleets: Shipbuilding, resource management and maritime warfare in 11th-century Denmark by Morten Ravn

Women & Weapons in the Viking World: Amazons of the North by Leszek Gardela

Archaeology and the Sea: in Scandinavia and Britain by Ole Crumlin-Pedersen

:)

Very interesting topics those, Jacob.

Short reviews after you've done with them?

Gardela does a thorough review of the evidence for armed women in Viking Age Scandinavia. He covers the archeological record - especially graves (including the much discussed grave Bj 581 from Birka), but also other parts of the material culture - as well as the historical record - the various categories of sagas, chronicles, travellers' accounts, and contemporary evidence in neighbouring cultures. He offers multiple possible interpretations for the evidence considering the wider context, before finally engaging in some comparisons with "armed women" in other places and times. ​

When it comes to interpretation, Gardela is very diligent in explaining why every piece of evidence could be interpreted as something other than warrior women. In the end his conclusion is something like "we don't have clear evidence for actual warrior women in viking society, but the concept of them was embedded in viking culture."

The book is - as expected - excellent in terms of laying out the record, an overview of the preceding scholarship, and the various interpretation challenges. It's solid enough that you can see how arguments that warrior women were a historical reality to some extent during the viking age are argued.

The cross cultural section on "women with weapons" is an interesting addition  - in particular the bit on cross-dressing Dutch women during the age of Empire and the warrior women of Dahomey (both of which I knew little of).

Habbaku

I'm about 100 pages or so in to William Dalrymple's The Anarchy, about the EIC and its rise to power and pseudo-statehood. Great reading so far, given that Dalrymple has focused almost exclusively on the affairs of the Indian states to this point.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Yes, specifically the English/British East India Company, though the VOC (Dutch) and the French EIC both have supporting roles.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2022, 11:18:54 PM

Viking-Age War Fleets: Shipbuilding, resource management and maritime warfare in 11th-century Denmark by Morten Ravn

Gardela does a thorough review of the evidence for armed women in Viking Age Scandinavia. He covers the archeological record - especially graves (including the much discussed grave Bj 581 from Birka), but also other parts of the material culture - as well as the historical record - the various categories of sagas, chronicles, travellers' accounts, and contemporary evidence in neighbouring cultures. He offers multiple possible interpretations for the evidence considering the wider context, before finally engaging in some comparisons with "armed women" in other places and times. ​

When it comes to interpretation, Gardela is very diligent in explaining why every piece of evidence could be interpreted as something other than warrior women. In the end his conclusion is something like "we don't have clear evidence for actual warrior women in viking society, but the concept of them was embedded in viking culture."

The book is - as expected - excellent in terms of laying out the record, an overview of the preceding scholarship, and the various interpretation challenges. It's solid enough that you can see how arguments that warrior women were a historical reality to some extent during the viking age are argued.

The cross cultural section on "women with weapons" is an interesting addition  - in particular the bit on cross-dressing Dutch women during the age of Empire and the warrior women of Dahomey (both of which I knew little of).

I enjoyed this review. :) Might get the book.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2022, 11:18:54 PM

Jacob, thank you for the review; sounds intriguing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2022, 11:21:08 PM
I'm about 100 pages or so in to William Dalrymple's The Anarchy, about the EIC and its rise to power and pseudo-statehood. Great reading so far, given that Dalrymple has focused almost exclusively on the affairs of the Indian states to this point.  :)
Just got this - planning to read the Company Quartet. But won't get to it for a bit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2022, 09:31:32 AM
Just got this - planning to read the Company Quartet. But won't get to it for a bit.

:cheers: I think I may end up doing the same after I clear a few from my reading pile.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Finished Ancient Rome Infographics, by Guillerat et al. The Roman state is presented in infographics form, in three areas: 1) The Lands and People of the Empire 2) Government, Worship and Social Needs, and 3) Rome's Military Might. Obviously population numbers and similar are estimates when it comes to the ancient world, and they are very clear about this in the introduction. They are also clear on why they don't cover for instance art and literature. I like the format, and I've always liked infographics (especially 19th/early 20th century ones), I think the book is a nice addition to what's written on Rome. Some pages are not easily digested at a quick glance, but that's as it should be I think, there's a lot of info in some of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I think my favorite Roman infographic is that online digital atlas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2022, 05:37:27 AM
Finished Ancient Rome Infographics, by Guillerat et al. The Roman state is presented in infographics form, in three areas: 1) The Lands and People of the Empire 2) Government, Worship and Social Needs, and 3) Rome's Military Might. Obviously population numbers and similar are estimates when it comes to the ancient world, and they are very clear about this in the introduction. They are also clear on why they don't cover for instance art and literature. I like the format, and I've always liked infographics (especially 19th/early 20th century ones), I think the book is a nice addition to what's written on Rome. Some pages are not easily digested at a quick glance, but that's as it should be I think, there's a lot of info in some of them.

That sounds pretty cool :cheers:

Gups

His City of Djinns is outstanding. I wasn't hugely impressed by White Mughals though and haven't picked up anything else by him since. I'll give this a try - it's certainly a very interesting area of history.

Habbaku

Thus far, it's definitely the tidiest narrative of that era of the EIC that I've read. He keeps everything flowing properly, doesn't confuse the reader with too many terms at the same time, and has been doing an excellent job of putting the Company's actions in context of what's going on with the rest of India.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2022, 09:33:18 AM
Thus far, it's definitely the tidiest narrative of that era of the EIC that I've read. He keeps everything flowing properly, doesn't confuse the reader with too many terms at the same time, and has been doing an excellent job of putting the Company's actions in context of what's going on with the rest of India.

Well, I'm sold. It's an interesting area of history that I don't know much about.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius