News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2021, 06:20:51 PM
Recently finished an excellent and thought-ptoking book, Constance by Matthew FitzSimmons....
That sounds amazing! I'll definitely add that to my Amazon wishlist. Appreciate the quality review.  :cheers:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Today I received The Art of Lone Wolf. I've always loved the illustrator Gary Chalk, and Lone Wolf is one of the many things he's worked on. Nice. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Nice one. Gary Chalk only did the first couple of books, though, IIRC? He did have a quite distinctive artstyle. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2021, 04:03:47 AM
Nice one. Gary Chalk only did the first couple of books, though, IIRC? He did have a quite distinctive artstyle. :)

Books 1-8 according to the back cover. NB I don't think I played them all back in the day.

The Brain

They seem to have left out the covers though. Sad. I assume to keep down printing costs.

Syt

I used to have the books up till 12, I don't think the later ones were published in Germany when I was into them. I keep telling myself I will replay them over on https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home but I've yet to progress further than #4  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I don't know what came of it but I remember a decade ago there was a project to translate them into a video game format.
I have a bunch at home - I think I miss a few key numbers and played them all out of order since I just picked them up where I found them.
It was very good. In lieu of a chance for table top rpgs it's the closest I got.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2021, 04:12:20 AM
They seem to have left out the covers though. Sad. I assume to keep down printing costs.

I think the covers were governed by different sets of rights - Project Aon has all the Gary Chalk illustrations but doesn't have the covers either, and the covers were also different country to country.

Syt

FWIW these were the German covers. Looking up English versions, there seem to be various covers for some books.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, one thing I loved was the continuity. "Oh yeah, that thing you picked up 4 books ago? Super useful right now!"
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I love how the book is 2nd edition and there's still a lot of typos. And one classic "xxx - Text for the image goes here". The art is great obviously and the text doesn't matter much, but maybe they should have spent 5 more minutes on the book as a book.

The Brain

I'm reading 1066: The Year of the Three Battles, by McLynn. It seems mostly okayish so far, I like that it describes the background of the different actors going back several decades. But sometimes he seems weirdly accepting of unlikely-sounding stories, while at other times he is soundly skeptical. The most bizarre thing so far though is that he calmly states that Norway had a population of 2 million at the time, and Normandy 1 million. These sound like complete fantasy, and yet he doesn't comment further on these extreme numbers or how he arrived at them. The book isn't new, it's from 1998, but that doesn't explain anything here.

Oexmelin

1M for Normandy doesn't sound so extreme. The region has extremely well preserved fiscal documents which, by their nature, if anything, under report taxable communities. In the 13th century, where we have really detailed sourced, number of fiscal units ("households") was placed at 307,000 or so, which demographers usually multiply by 5 to get a crude estimate of population. In the 12th century, that number of households was put at 136,000, which either suggest the population more than doubled, which seems unlikely, or were generally under reported. From this, estimates for 12th century place the population at somewhere around 900,000.

2M for Norway sounds crazy though. It was well below 1M in the 16th c.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Agelastus

A quick google online suggests that the 2 million figure could be a typo for two hundred thousand.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Yeah, the number for Normandy may be on the high side but the one for Norway is just crazy. He mentions that medieval Scandinavia during this period of mild climate was able to support "a considerable population", and that "...Norway seems to have been able to feed a population in excess of two million by the eleventh century". Hopefully it's just an extra zero that crept in during the manuscript stage.