News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on December 07, 2020, 02:00:24 AM
Can anyone recommend a good readable biography of Simon Bolivar?
This is not what you're asking for but (:lol: sorry), I'd recommend Marquez's The General in his Labyrinth. It's a really excellent entry in the canon of Latin American dictator novels.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on December 07, 2020, 04:10:12 AM
I finished that a month ago and agree - 5/10. Not bad on his personal life but doesn't really set the scene properly and too disjointed.

I felt at times I was reading a magic realism novel.

The Brain

Finished Akbar: The Great Mughal, by Ira Mukothy. A very nice and readable biography of the most fascinating of the Mughals. I think it's good if you at least have some idea about Indian or Mughal history before reading it, but it's not necessary. I had read a few general histories of India and of the Mughals, but no Akbar bio. There are no color photos and no maps, this didn't bother me at all but some people may be annoyed. There's a lot of names, but the most important persons can be found in a helpful Cast of Characters. There's a lot of Indian terms that weren't immediately known to me (AFAIK the book is written with an Indian audience in mind), again this didn't bother me. I only started reading about Indian history a few years ago (it was on my list for decades), there's a lot of interesting stuff there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

'The Lord of the Rings'

Well crafted high fantasy.

First re-read in probably 20 years, a bit disappointed that I remembered nearly all of it, the only scene I didn't recall was a chat between Frodo and Gloin at the meal in Rivendell.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2020, 08:28:01 PM
'The Lord of the Rings'

Well crafted high fantasy.

First re-read in probably 20 years, a bit disappointed that I remembered nearly all of it, the only scene I didn't recall was a chat between Frodo and Gloin at the meal in Rivendell.

About 30 years for me now, plus I read a translation at the time. Maybe I should give it a go  :hmm:

Habbaku

Latest re-read was ~2 years ago for me. I didn't recall Aragorn being such a sulky whiner at the start.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Josquius

I recently finished the hyperion series. Anyone else read this one?
Lots of interesting aspects to it. Though it goes in hard for the Christianity mega fan stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I read the hyperion cantos about a decade ago.  There was some sequels but I didn't read them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2021, 05:04:09 PM
I recently finished the hyperion series. Anyone else read this one?
Lots of interesting aspects to it. Though it goes in hard for the Christianity mega fan stuff.

I read the first one, which was sort of a Canterbury Tales thing. I started Book Two, but stopped about half way. Couldn't get into it.

Dan Simmons is actually a really fascinating writer, but his Sci-Fi is to me his least interesting genre. He dabbled in horror for a while after sci-fi, and then in sort of historical fiction. (AMC's The Terror was based on one of his books, which was about how the crew of the Terror and Erebus were stalked by a ghostly polar bear-- no really).

The Abominable was very good. A well told and researched, realistic telling of the first Everest climb with Mallory and Irvine....well realistic except for the ghostly snowman thing. And you thought Mallory just fell off...ha!

And Drood, is a creepy gothic tale of the last years of Charles Dickens' life. Pretty realistic too, except for the....well, wouldn't want to spoil it for you.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

The reason I read the Hyperion Cantos was because I liked the Terror so much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Am reading SPQR and I finally know what caligae means.  Also learned that Caligula was a nickname, not his real name.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2021, 11:15:38 AM
Am reading SPQR and I finally know what caligae means.  Also learned that Caligula was a nickname, not his real name.

Indeed.  Aristocratic Romans typically went by nicknames, because they reused the same few names over and over again in their families.  Gaius Julius (son of Gaius Julius, grandson of Gaius Julius) went by the nickname Caesar (also the nickname of his father and grandfather), as did Pompey, Crassus, Cicero, Augustus, etc. Become known by theirs.   Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus had three nicknames, and picked up the fourth, Caligula, early in his life.

Interesting fact:  daughters of aristocratic Romans didn;t have personal names; they all went by the family name (thus Caesar had two aunts, both named Julia, a sister Julia, and a daughter Julia). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2021, 04:30:12 PM
(thus Caesar had two aunts, both named Julia, a sister Julia, and a daughter Julia).

Does pretending they were different people make you sleep better?

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2021, 04:30:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2021, 11:15:38 AM

Indeed.  Aristocratic Romans typically went by nicknames, because they reused the same few names over and over again in their families.  Gaius Julius (son of Gaius Julius, grandson of Gaius Julius) went by the nickname Caesar (also the nickname of his father and grandfather), as did Pompey, Crassus, Cicero, Augustus, etc. Become known by theirs.   Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus had three nicknames, and picked up the fourth, Caligula, early in his life.

Interesting fact:  daughters of aristocratic Romans didn;t have personal names; they all went by the family name (thus Caesar had two aunts, both named Julia, a sister Julia, and a daughter Julia).

I'm not big on Roman names, but I think Augustus was a title, not a nickname. As was Germanicus, Britannicus etc.
And Julius Caesar was more of a double surname than a nickname, denoting a branch of the Julii. It's odd that Caesar, of all people, never had a personal nickname.