News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Finishing Andrea's Wulf's The Invention of Nature, bio on Alexander von Humboldt. Highly recommended.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on March 30, 2017, 04:01:59 AM
Finishing Andrea's Wulf's The Invention of Nature, bio on Alexander von Humboldt. Highly recommended.

Sounds gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2017, 02:01:44 AM
For $15 you can buy 15 Warhammer - Horus Heresy books, plus some other goodies.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horus-heresy-warhammer-book-bundle

Oooh, the second Trump Administration! :yeah:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

I thought the first half was brilliant but it faded towards the end when get not allowed to leave Prussia.

Amazing how little he's known now, given his achievements.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2017, 04:30:56 AM

Sounds gay.

It does include that part, yes.

Maladict

Quote from: Gups on March 30, 2017, 06:12:08 AM

I thought the first half was brilliant but it faded towards the end

Kind of hard to avoid given that he did all the really cool stuff in his twenties.

MadImmortalMan

I'm still reading The Deluge, and it's probably a record for me, since I usually read incredibly quickly. The thing here is that I keep stopping to look up stuff on wiki and other things. The wars between Sweden and Poland are just not discussed much in our education. One thing struck me, and that's how much of the language in The Witcher games I understand more now. An awful lot of the background stuff is really Polish (Lithuanian?) in nature. They even called the Germans "Black Ones".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2017, 08:22:42 PM
The wars between Sweden and Poland are just not discussed much in our education.

Not sure if serious. :unsure:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2017, 12:49:05 AM
The wars between Sweden and Poland are just not discussed much in our education.

I had to search them out myself. School =/ Education.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2017, 12:49:05 AM

Typical history major- "Who is Gustavus Adolphus?"  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 06, 2017, 06:13:32 AM
"Who is Gustavus Adolphus?"

I'll take "Roman Caesars" for $400, Alex.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 06, 2017, 06:13:32 AM
Typical history major- "Who is Gustavus Adolphus?"  :huh:

I prefer leaders that don't get killed in major battles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

I finished Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford, about Henry Flagler and the over the ocean railroad.  Flagler was John D. Rockefeller's right hand man.  He came to Florida and, as a second career, built the rail and hotels down the east coast.  He continued the rail all the way down to Key West, believing that the newly opened Panama Canal would lead to a boom in trade between the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean.  (At the time Key West was the only deep water port on the east coast of Florida, as well as the largest city in the state.)  This was an amazing, and costly, engineering feat, especially at the early years of the twentieth century.

The trade boom never materialized and the tracks were damaged in the hurricane of 1935.  While they could have been repaired, the Florida East Coast railroad had been losing money for so long on the line that they sold the right of way to the federal government who built the current highway on the same area.

Flagler was one of the most influential figures in the development of Florida.  Some of his hotels still stand (The Breakers in Palm Beach, for one) and the Florida East Coast railroad still runs.  The book tries to portray Flagler's over the ocean railroad as one last mad attempt at immortality for Flagler and quotes Shelly's Ozyamdidas.  Ulysses, both the Tennyson and the Dante version (from the Inferno) might have been better, an old man trying to beat his fate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock