News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I posted that because I had always assumed the need for affirmation was an intrinsic part of human nature.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2017, 03:58:19 PM
I posted that because I had always assumed the need for affirmation was an intrinsic part of human nature.

Why?  I thought it was commonly understood that people should resist basing their identity and self worth on what others thought of them.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2017, 11:48:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 20, 2017, 11:38:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2017, 11:58:41 AM
Seedy is right. Reading books on your phone isn't natural.

That's why they sell kindles.

Kindle is just a smartphone without a phone app.  Sucks.

You're combining the worst of the kids and the oldsters.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Neat.  :cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/21/walt-whitmans-lost-novel-the-life-and-adventures-of-jack-engle-found

QuoteWalt Whitman's lost novel The Life and Adventures of Jack Engle found

Described by Whitman scholar as a 'a fun, rollicking, creative, twisty, bizarre little book', the discovery has been made available free online

Danuta Kean
Tuesday 21 February 2017 09.29 GMT Last modified on Tuesday 21 February 2017 22.00 GMT

A "rollicking" anti-lawyer revenge fantasy by Walt Whitman, which challenges previously held ideas about the American poet's transition from prose to poetry, has been found in the archives of a Victorian New York Sunday newspaper. Though published anonymously, the book matches a detailed synopsis in the poet's notebook for a project academics had thought abandoned.

Entitled The Life and Adventures of Jack Engle, the book has just been published free online by the Walt Whitman Quarterly Review. Announcing the discovery unearthed in Whitman materials held at the Library of Congress, Ed Folsom, editor of the journal, said the discovery would change everything previously known about the author's early writing career. "Now we see that the fiction and poetry were mingling in ways we never before knew," he said.

Zachary Turpin of the University of Houston discovered the novel in Manhattan-based newspaper the Sunday Dispatch. Set in New York, it was serialised in 1852 and written at the same time as the poet began work on his landmark epic poem Leaves of Grass, published three years later.

Described by Turpin as "a fun, rollicking, creative, twisty, bizarre little book", Jack Engle is a classic rags-to-riches orphan's story about a corrupt lawyer, Mr Covert, who tries to trick his ward Martha out of her inheritance. Jack, who works for Covert, sets out to save his fellow orphan and in the process discovers his fate is tied up with hers. In true Dickensian style, Whitman appears to settle old scores in the book: the writer's father was also swindled by a New York lawyer.

Turpin found the 36,000-word novel as he ploughed through the prolific author's "odds and ends" in the Integrated Catalog of Walt Whitman's Literary Manuscripts, a comprehensive list of the poet's surviving papers, jottings, manuscript drafts, scraps and notebooks. Among the scraps, a series of character names appeared: Covert, Jack Engle, Wigglesworth and Smytthe. Painstaking detective work led him to a tiny notice from 1852 in the New York Daily Times (now the New York Times) advertising the serialisation in the Sunday Dispatch of an autobiography, The Life and Adventures of Jack Engle.

"Something about it just seemed right," the academic said. "The name Jack Engle. The year. The newspaper (to which we know Whitman had contributed before)." The clincher came when he matched the character names from Whitman's notebook with those in the published story. "I couldn't believe that, for a few minutes, I was the only person on Earth who knew about this book."

The discovery is significant not only for its rarity. The extent of Whitman's prose fiction was previously unknown. The book reveals he grappled with a desire to find the right form in which to express his ideas. "The Whitman we see in Jack Engle is not yet the confident, committed poet we now take him to have always been," Turpin explained. "It is during this vital time that he's experimenting, trying on different genres and modes of writing, looking for one that's ample and expansive enough to express what [Ralph Waldo] Emerson would call 'the infinitude of the private man'."

Folsom agreed the novel revealed Whitman's struggle with form and that it gives a precise time for his move into poetry. In chapter 19, the plot comes to an abrupt end as Jack wanders through a graveyard and the plots of the buried merge into endless lost life stories. As he contemplates these lost plots, Jack feel the grass covering his own face. Folsom said: "I sense at this moment Whitman is discovering why conventional plots will no longer serve for the kind of writing he feels he has to accomplish, and this novel thus lets us experience the moment in the process of Whitman's development when he realises fiction simply will not serve the kind of creative work he will devote the rest of his life to."

A revival in Whitman's work may be due. Prized for his originality, compassion, idealism and democratic patriotism, the poet saw himself as a prophet for what the US might become. "The Whitman of the early 1850s is absolutely ablaze," said Turpin, who has form in finding unusual lost works by Whitman. Last year, he discovered a book-length guide to "manly health" by the poet, which tackled everything from virility to foot care and exercise. Hinting that more may be mined from the archives, Turpin added: "This new novel may also indicate that he didn't give up prose. God knows – he could have, and probably did, write several more novels, if not many more than that. For all we know, they could be hiding in plain sight. Exciting, isn't it?"

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 22, 2017, 12:40:17 AM
You're combining the worst of the kids and the oldsters.

You want your Amazon stock to go up, you're going to have to count on somebody else to do it.

Admiral Yi

I'm looking for suggestions for short story collections I can read to my mom.  I'm thinking of starting with Just So Stories by Kipling.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2017, 04:13:22 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for short story collections I can read to my mom.  I'm thinking of starting with Just So Stories by Kipling.

Chekhov?

jimmy olsen

Hate it when I preorder a book that is supposed to be out in a few weeks and it just gets pushed back. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: Maladict on February 27, 2017, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2017, 04:13:22 AM

Chekhov?

I read some short stories by Chekhov recently (The School Mistress collection). I enjoyed them but assuming Kipling is mama Yi's taste, wouldn't recommend them to her.

Yi - maybe Somerset Maugham, Road Dahl, Conan Doyle?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on March 02, 2017, 08:14:15 AM
I read some short stories by Chekhov recently (The School Mistress collection). I enjoyed them but assuming Kipling is mama Yi's taste, wouldn't recommend them to her.

Yi - maybe Somerset Maugham, Road Dahl, Conan Doyle?

Someone else recommended Dahl.  Do you have a title?

Not sure if Kipling is her taste or not.  So far she has enjoyed Garrison Keiler, disliked Hemingway, liked Twain.

Barrister

How about some Agatha Christie? 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Dahl's short stories often tend to be twisted with dark humor. Is you mom into that?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 02, 2017, 02:38:51 PM
Dahl's short stories often tend to be twisted with dark humor. Is you mom into that?

Not sure.  Not a load of experience.