And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2016, 04:38:12 AM
Finished "War and Peace" :w00t:

That's good. Now you can do like me and stop reading for the rest of your life.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 27, 2016, 05:39:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2016, 04:38:12 AM
Finished "War and Peace" :w00t:

That's good. Now you can do like me and stop reading for the rest of your life.  :P

Shit. I have to die?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2016, 04:43:53 AM
In German,  there's still no alternative to the Bergengrün translation of War and Peace. It's the only one to make an effort to preserve as much of the French dialogue as possibleinstead of translating it, too.

I was reading a free version on Kindle. It helpfully put in parentheticals with translation for the French. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Hell in Harlan by George Titler.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2016, 06:25:33 AM
In German,  there's still no alternative to the Bergengrün translation of War and Peace. It's the only one to make an effort to preserve as much of the French dialogue as possibleinstead of translating it, too.

I was reading a free version on Kindle. It helpfully put in parentheticals with translation for the French. :blush:

Well, I still use the translated footnotes, but I find it more immersive with the French intact.

It's the difference between this:

"Eh bien, mon prince, Genes and Lucques ne sont plus que des apanages, des estates, de la famille Buonaparte. Non, je vous préviens, que si vous ne me dites pas que nous avons la guerre, si vous vous permettez encore de pallier toutes les infamies, toutes les atrocités de cet Antichrist (ma parole, j'y crois)-- je ne vous connais plus, vous n'etes plus mon ami, vous n'etes plus my faithful slave, comme vous dites. Well, good evening, good evening. Je vois que je vouis fais peur, sit down and tell me about it."

And this:

"Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist--I really believe he is Antichrist--I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see I have frightened you--sit down and tell me all the news."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2016, 10:16:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2016, 10:05:15 AM
In Amazon's recommendations to me, there's DIY tools which is a picture of a lockpick set. :hmm:

Actually, that is a really, really helpful skill to learn. :unsure: You know, like a hobby.

Fun as well!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Is this any good do you think? Samurai President of the Philippines; Spiritual Interview with the Guardian Spirit of Rodrigo Duterte (Spiritual Interview Series)

QuoteSamurai President of the Philippines contains the spiritual interview with the subconscious of President Duterte, and reveals that the president is the reincarnation of the internationally renowned, proud Japanese military officer. The secret to his hard-lined leadership of executing over one thousand drug offenders lies in his past life as a Japanese general who fought a deadly battle. Here is the nature of his soul and the true mind of the "samurai president" who will be a key person in Asia from now on.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2016, 03:47:16 AM

Well, I still use the translated footnotes, but I find it more immersive with the French intact.

"Eh bien, mon prince, Genes and Lucques ne sont plus que des apanages, des estates, de la famille Buonaparte. Non, je vous préviens, que si vous ne me dites pas que nous avons la guerre, si vous vous permettez encore de pallier toutes les infamies, toutes les atrocités de cet Antichrist (ma parole, j'y crois)-- je ne vous connais plus, vous n'etes plus mon ami, vous n'etes plus my faithful slave, comme vous dites. Well, good evening, good evening. Je vois que je vouis fais peur, sit down and tell me about it."

And this:

"Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist--I really believe he is Antichrist--I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see I have frightened you--sit down and tell me all the news."

I don't find it immersive as I've no idea what it is say otherwise...

Where I dislike it though is in history books. There they generally won't translate and its like...cool. :mellow:

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 08:16:53 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2016, 03:47:16 AM

And this:

I don't find it immersive as I've no idea what it is say otherwise...

Where I dislike it though is in history books. There they generally won't translate and its like...cool. :mellow:

You mean serious history books? Academia will assume some sort of working knowledge of German and French on the part of the reader.

And I agree with Syt, the untranslated part does make a difference.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 08:16:53 AMI don't find it immersive as I've no idea what it is say otherwise...

It serves to illustrate their overall Francophile aristocratic customs - somewhat at odds with the revolution and Napoleon.

Imagine if elite circles in a country were using English as conversational language, influenced by and adoring the predominant culture of the time and then were to face that culture come under the sway of a man who stands against everything they believe in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on November 28, 2016, 12:25:25 PM
You mean serious history books? Academia will assume some sort of working knowledge of German and French on the part of the reader.

I don't know how serious they are but yeah it makes points a bit opaque if it is an English text and then they suddenly expect me to read another language.

And I agree with Syt, the untranslated part does make a difference.

I can totally see that if you've at least rudimentary knowledge of the language in question (like I'd be fine with some untranslated Spanish) but otherwise, it doesn't do much for you. I don't mind it as much in novels though as usually the translator/adaptor has put the translation somewhere (either inline or in footnotes). Really mostly an issue for me in history books.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2016, 12:39:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 08:16:53 AMI don't find it immersive as I've no idea what it is say otherwise...

It serves to illustrate their overall Francophile aristocratic customs - somewhat at odds with the revolution and Napoleon.

Imagine if elite circles in a country were using English as conversational language, influenced by and adoring the predominant culture of the time and then were to face that culture come under the sway of a man who stands against everything they believe in.

I don't know that I need text I can't read to get that point though. Particularly not when there are actually many chapters that actually even explicitly say that point (like when Helene has the gathering where they now need to forfeit money every time that they speak in French). :P

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 12:41:08 PM

I don't know how serious they are but yeah it makes points a bit opaque if it is an English text and then they suddenly expect me to read another language.

Sure, I can seen how that would be annoying. I was only suggesting it might just be a convention, rather than trying to be cool.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 12:42:39 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2016, 12:39:25 PM

I don't know that I need text I can't read to get that point though. Particularly not when there are actually many chapters that actually even explicitly say that point (like when Helene has the gathering where they now need to forfeit money every time that they speak in French). :P

Fair enough. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on November 28, 2016, 12:44:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 12:41:08 PM

Sure, I can seen how that would be annoying. I was only suggesting it might just be a convention, rather than trying to be cool.

Oh certainly. I didn't think it was trying to be cool, just an annoying convention. :D :blush: