Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 15, 2016, 08:46:44 PM
You know which one.

The Suez ain't going anywhere.  :lol:

Half way through and it hasn't grabbed. Ill put it down for a little bit. Pfanz's Gettysburg The First Day
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I'm into late 1940 in Beevor's WW2. I read the part about the initial hostilies in North Africa on the plane and had to laugh. First the Brits take 70 prisoners on the border -the Italian border troops hadn't been notified that there was a war going on. Soon after, the British capture an Italian general who was cruising in his car with his pregnant not-wife. He carried Italian military plans for the entire theater. And then the Italian military commander for North Africa gets shot down in his plane - by his own confused AA. :lol:

(The complete blunder in Greece is less hilarious but still amazing in its stupidity.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

Syt

Also reading (about 1/3 in) For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica Hemingway.

In know that Hemingway tries to emulate the Spanish language in the dialogues which makes it pretty stilted.

Have any of our native Spanish speakers read the book and can comment on how well he achieves this (or how much he fails)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, what's the Spanish obsession with shitting in milk?
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

NYT review of Ullrich's first Hitler volume--
In 'Hitler,' an Ascent From 'Dunderhead' to Demagogue

QuoteA new biography portrays Hitler as a clownish, deceitful narcissist who took control of a powerful nation thanks to slick propaganda and a dysfunctional elite that failed to block his rise.

Sound like anybody we know?  :lol:

ulmont

The last (probably) installment of the Johannes Cabal, Necromancer series has come out.  I think it was Malthus that recommended the first book ever so long ago now.

QuoteFans of Howard's witty prose and morbid humor will not be disappointed; his characteristic blend of horror, comedy, fantasy, and drama is particularly effective in this installment. Cabal remains an entertaining antihero whose complexities have deepened over time, and the conclusion of the narrative threads that have spanned the previous four Cabal books is both satisfying and touching.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-250-06997-9

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2016, 11:02:28 PM

QuoteA new biography portrays Hitler as a clownish, deceitful narcissist who took control of a powerful nation thanks to slick propaganda and a dysfunctional elite that failed to block his rise.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Man O'Reilly loves writing books about men dying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2016, 09:57:38 AM
The last (probably) installment of the Johannes Cabal, Necromancer series has come out.  I think it was Malthus that recommended the first book ever so long ago now.

QuoteFans of Howard's witty prose and morbid humor will not be disappointed; his characteristic blend of horror, comedy, fantasy, and drama is particularly effective in this installment. Cabal remains an entertaining antihero whose complexities have deepened over time, and the conclusion of the narrative threads that have spanned the previous four Cabal books is both satisfying and touching.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-250-06997-9

Probably was - I enjoy them. I own, but have not read, this particular installment.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I eagerly await Donald's next book, "Retarded America."

Maladict

Speaking of Hitler biographies, which one should I read? Toland, Kershaw, Fest, someone else?

Razgovory

Dammit, I don't have subscription.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2016, 01:32:08 PM

Dammit, I don't have subscription.

I don't think CdM charges for his news-sheet.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I have long wanted to read a book about the conquest of the Aztecs.  Most recent books (since the 1960's), take the side of the indigenous inhabitants downplaying the less savory aspects of Aztec culture (and in some cases denying them) and damning as monsters.  I wanted something a bit more even handed.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK78QCW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1  Found this book and started reading.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017