News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Also let me just point out that despite Edward VI desperatly wanting to get rid of Mary as he was dying he never actually just had her arrested and executed. Mary was also oddly hesitant to just take out Elizabeth.

If either of those sisters had been distant cousins instead I doubt Edward or Mary would have hesitated a second.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

A general point is that I'm not sure that political culture in the 16th century (most of the controversial Tudor stuff having been brought up) was necessarily identical to political culture in the 15th century. Political culture changes over time. The Tudors did some stuff that I think would have been seen as beyond the pale by most 15th century monarchs, so it may not always be meaningful to make straight comparisons between the two eras.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Got another sweet shipment of Lance & Longbow stuff. Their miniatures wargame rules Poleaxed 2 for late medieval battles, their The Gentry & Peerage of Towton (two volumes), and some other stuff.

I also got some nice non-book stuff (from a different supplier) that is slightly relevant: two replica WotR metal badges, the Boar and the Bear & Ragged Staff. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Picked up the first two volumes of the Wolf Hall trilogy.  The present tense is kind of jarring, but let's see how it goes.

Sheilbh

Big fan of them - I think they're some of the best novels about politics I've read.

(Also as an aisde I love that Hilary Mantel has called her upcoming book of essays and articles Mantel Pieces :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I finished a book on Diego Rivera, Frida Khalo and the painting of the Detroit Industry murals in the Detroit Institute of Arts.

I learned that Edsel Ford had probably never seen Rivera's work before he came to Detroit.  He was talked into funding the mural's by the then director of the DIA.  The murals were controversial when they were first displayed in 1933; however it's suspected that Edsel had a friend at the Detroit Free Press write the first negative article about the works in order to draw in crowds.  If so it worked, the controversy was dubbed the "Battle of Detroit" by the Detroit papers at the time and the murals brought in several hundred thousand people in the first year.

I also learned that Henry Ford was a popular man in the Soviet Union (where Rivera had visited.)  Rivera recounted a story where he visited a Soviet worker's house, the worker had on display four pictures: Joseph Stalin, Vladimir Lenin, Karl Marx and Henry Ford (one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...).  The worker explained that the latter three had laid the foundation for the modern world that would be achieved through Stalin's political genius.

Kahlo hated the United States and especially Detroit; though she started seriously painting when she lived there.  Rivera loved it, especially the industry.  He thought Henry Ford had the soul of a poet.  Henry was interviewed near his Highland Park plant soon after the murals were released.  When asked about them he said something to the affect that Edsel was the artist of the family; that (he said as gesturing at the assembly plant) is my type of art, the future.  I thought that's something an Ayn Rand hero would say.

I also learned that Edsel Ford donated a million dollars to assist Jewish settlers living in (what was then called) Palestine.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

I've bought so many books in lockdown and read so few. But I have watched an incredible amount of trash  :Embarrass:

Resolve to fix this and make a dent in the reading piles. Starting this weekend!
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

It's pitiful how few books I read simply for pleasure.

But now that the boys are all kind of past dad reading them a story book before bed :( we've introduced a new routine.  10-15 minutes before their bedtime we all (myself included) pick a book and read to ourselves.  It's kind of nice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Finished Don Quixote.

I never knew that this was actually two books, written about 10 years apart. The second book is actually better than the first, which has a lot of boring digressions. What's interesting is that in between the first and second book, some other writer wrote an unauthorized sequel before Cervantes, which Cervantes actually uses in his second book. Don Quixote is mystified that there is a "badly written history" out there about him, and sets about proving that author wrong. Probably the first example of meta-writing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Savonarola

Finished La Sombra del Viento (The Shadow of the Wind) and then discovered the author, Carlos Ruiz Zafón, died last week Friday. :o

Celedhring (or anyone else whose been there) is Els Quatre Gats worth seeing, or just a tourist trap?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2020, 10:02:27 AM
Picked up the first two volumes of the Wolf Hall trilogy.  The present tense is kind of jarring, but let's see how it goes.

I'm re-reading Wolf Hall. First time round it took me about a hundred pages before I realised the "he" was always Cromwell, after that it flowed very easily.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on June 23, 2020, 03:48:36 AM
I'm re-reading Wolf Hall. First time round it took me about a hundred pages before I realised the "he" was always Cromwell, after that it flowed very easily.

Thanks for the heads up.  I hadn't caught that.

11B4V

Grumbler you a navy guy. What's your recommendation on the book Six Frigates?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 10:33:43 PM
Grumbler you a navy guy. What's your recommendation on the book Six Frigates?

Great book. Popular history in the vein of Ryan or McCullough (not scholarly like, say, Wilmott) so very readable.  I didn't see any significant flaws, errors, or unreasonable conclusion.  Highly recommended.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!