News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lots of Christians in China

Started by Jacob, January 15, 2015, 06:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote"Christianity now makes up the largest single civil society grouping in China. The party sees that."

QuoteLast summer, China's religious affairs chief said that 500,000 Christians are baptized each year in the country.

QuoteCarsten Vala, an expert on religion in China at Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore, says 40 million to 60 million is "the low end of a conservative" estimate of the number of Evangelicals. Fenggang Yang, director of the Center on Religion and Chinese Society at Purdue University in Indiana, says he thinks there are more than 80 million Christians and that China will have 245 million by 2030 if growth is steady – making it the world's most populous Protestant nation.

Quote...in the past year authorities have attacked and even destroyed official Protestant churches, as well as unofficial ones.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2015/0111/In-China-a-church-state-showdown-of-biblical-proportions

It'll be interesting to see whether the Evangelicals will end up like Falun Gong, whether they'll adapt, or whether they'll end up having significant influence. It seems the CCP is taking them seriously.

Josquius

Well that's depressing. Hope the traditional faiths can pull a Hinduism and kick the christians out. All the world needs is another Korea :(
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2015, 06:22:20 PM
Well that's depressing. Hope the traditional faiths can pull a Hinduism and kick the christians out. All the world needs is another Korea :(

The article says that the two growth religions are Buddhism and Evangelical Christianity.

Queequeg

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2015, 06:24:06 PM

The article says that the two growth religions are Buddhism and Evangelical Christianity.
What kind of Buddhism?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

You are such a dipshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on January 15, 2015, 06:42:53 PM
What kind of Buddhism?

I believe China, Korea and Japan all favor the one that deifies Buddha.

jimmy olsen

And what's wrong with Korea? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Tyr thinks brown people should follow brown people religions or some stupid shit like that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
What kind of Buddhism?

I believe China, Korea and Japan all favor the one that deifies Buddha.

I think the Japanese version is different from the Chinese ones. 

Valmy

Christianity has only been in China since the Tang Dynasty.  Stupid non-traditional faith.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2015, 07:18:05 PM
Tyr thinks brown people should follow brown people religions or some stupid shit like that.

:lol:

Monoriu

I have to say one thing though.  When it comes to any religious or superstitious beliefs, the Chinese tendency is to adopt a shotgun approach, just to make sure that they'll hit the target no matter what.  I've seen devoted self-described Christians worshipping other traditional deities, consulting fung shui masters, praying at Buddhist temples, etc.

Sheilbh

What kind of Buddhism?
May be totally wrong but I'd guess one of the growth humanistic Buddhisms from Taiwan like Fo Guang Shan or Dharma Drum Mountain.
Let's bomb Russia!