News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Warhammer is coming

Started by Solmyr, January 14, 2015, 06:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 25, 2016, 11:00:58 AM
The DLC is apparently selling beyond their expectations, and human factions are low hanging fruit, so they still might get around to them, especially since it'd be like printing money. (Well..except for the dark age brits. Albion is really undersized in the map they went with, and I can't imagine them ever making anything for it unless it's the year 2020 and they are looking to scrape the barrel one last time)

How hard is it to expand the map a bit?

Could do an all in one minor faction dlc. Bear cavalry and ice witches for Kislev, pike blocks and mercanaries for Tilea, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Assuming they enlarged the island of Albion, what do you propose they do with it? It's an island of primitive psuedocelts that chuck spears and lack access to functional armor. Besides the fact that they don't have official units, their roster would by definition be pretty limited, inferior and uninteresting unless they fudged the internal logic of warhammer very badly with their stats.

Selling all in one minor faction DLC is a heinous waste of sales opportunities. Estalia and Tilea together, sure, but they could sell Kislev separately at the same price and still make a killing.

Actual kingdoms in the Old World notwithstanding, Albion is just a no-go. Devs already said that Wood Elves are the last expansion "this big" that they'll do until the next game, so it hardly seems likely they'll add a map-extending expansion before they move on the New World. They've still got a passel of large, interesting factions with tabletop fans and official support to sell, and beyond that there's the obscure factions that help populate the New World, like the Amazons or the Vampire Coast.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Lettow77

There were a slew of promotional 20% offs recently. I doubt it will get any further discounted than that. I have one of the 20% off coupons, if you'd be interested.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 26, 2016, 11:34:50 PM
Assuming they enlarged the island of Albion, what do you propose they do with it? It's an island of primitive psuedocelts that chuck spears and lack access to functional armor. Besides the fact that they don't have official units, their roster would by definition be pretty limited, inferior and uninteresting unless they fudged the internal logic of warhammer very badly with their stats.

Selling all in one minor faction DLC is a heinous waste of sales opportunities. Estalia and Tilea together, sure, but they could sell Kislev separately at the same price and still make a killing.

Actual kingdoms in the Old World notwithstanding, Albion is just a no-go. Devs already said that Wood Elves are the last expansion "this big" that they'll do until the next game, so it hardly seems likely they'll add a map-extending expansion before they move on the New World. They've still got a passel of large, interesting factions with tabletop fans and official support to sell, and beyond that there's the obscure factions that help populate the New World, like the Amazons or the Vampire Coast.

I wasn't really thinking of Albion when I said that. Estalia and Tilea are way undersized.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Bought this and played it for a few hours. So far it is hilariously fun. I don't have any solid knowledge of the Warhammer universe so it's also interesting learning about that.

I was skeptical of this move to fantasy at first but, honestly, it seems like Total War is a much better fit for fantasy settings than historical. Looking back, the historical Total Wars just seem... boring compared to this.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

As a head's up, Total War: Warhammer is now part of the Humble Monthly bundle, which means you can nab it for $12.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger at that price.  You also get 10% off in the Humble Store which has all of the DLC for sale.  So... anyone that owns the game, is the DLC worth it?

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 07, 2017, 04:55:24 PM
As a head's up, Total War: Warhammer is now part of the Humble Monthly bundle, which means you can nab it for $12.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger at that price.  You laos get 10% off in the Humble Store which has all of the DLC for sale.  So... anyone that owns the game, is the DLC worth it?

Yeah, Beastmen and Wood Elves are a great addition.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2017, 01:31:07 AM
As a head's up, Total War: Warhammer is now part of the Humble Monthly bundle, which means you can nab it for $12.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger at that price.  You laos get 10% off in the Humble Store which has all of the DLC for sale.  So... anyone that owns the game, is the DLC worth it?

Are they worth getting right off the bat or are they more about added features after the intro campaign?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 08, 2017, 02:48:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2017, 01:31:07 AM

Are they worth getting right off the bat or are they more about added features after the intro campaign?

If they're on sale, I'd grab them now. Their armies really have different playstyles that adds great variety.

1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

I was censured, so I couldn't warn against tim's excitement.

beastmen probably isn't worth more than $5-7, unless your threshold for "is it worth it?" is pretty low or you really love the faction. it's basically the chaos faction--just a roaming army.

welfs is probably worth the price.

I wouldn't buy either until you've exhausted the starting factions. you might not play the game long enough to justify spending any extra money than the base cost.

FunkMonk

I'll agree with LaCroix. Play the base game first and see if you like it. The base game, by itself, is already really really good, anyway, so you're not really missing out on any key features or anything. I think the new factions even show up in the main campaign mode; they're just not playable by you unless you own the welf or beastmen packs.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadBurgerMaker

As a head's up, Total War: Warhammer is now part of the Humble Monthly bundle, which means you can nab it for $12.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger at that price.  You also get 10% off in the Humble Store which has all of the DLC for sale.  So... anyone that owns the game, is the DLC worth it?

Good call.  Got the main game, but will hold off on the DLC for now.  Looks like there's a lot of them available aside from the two factions.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Game runs awfully slow, ordered some RAM.  I think that's were the bottleneck is.  Still, this PC is getting long in the tooth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017